cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh pay monthly contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I rung up 02 to cancel my contract and payed off the device (iphone 5S) and cancelled the airtime. Does anyone know how they are going to charge me for my final bill?? Will I have to pay a termination fee? Or will I be charged the monthly airtime pro-rata? I have cancelled the contract within the 14 days cooling off period. I've had the phone for about 5 days now.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance slight_smile

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will have to pay for any usage whilst the contract was in situ.

Can you elaborate on exactly what you have done? You took out a Refresh contract and kept the phone? In this case you have to give 30 days notice to finish the airtime contract so will be billed for a month.

If you cancelled the phone and the airtime, effectively a change of mind, you pay for the usage i.e 5 days of any data, calls or texts.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will have to pay for any usage whilst the contract was in situ.

Can you elaborate on exactly what you have done? You took out a Refresh contract and kept the phone? In this case you have to give 30 days notice to finish the airtime contract so will be billed for a month.

If you cancelled the phone and the airtime, effectively a change of mind, you pay for the usage i.e 5 days of any data, calls or texts.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonsie,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes I took out a Refresh pay monthly contract. I rung up to cancel my contract, pay off the device and have kept the phone. I also requested to cancel the airtime but I thought that my final bill would be charged on a pro-rata basis as I had cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period. Or does this not matter? Only I 've read that some people have said that they were charged pro-rata on the days that the airtime was 'active' not on this forum but elsewhere for 02 refresh pay monthly phones. Also no mention of a termination fee. They just payed for one months airtime pro-rata. That's why I wasn't sure. Perhaps 02 have changed how they bill their customers.

slight_smile

Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The way Refresh works is that you pay off the device and then you have to give 30 days notice to end the airtime. You haven't cancelled the contract within the cooling off period, there is no cooling off period as you have paid for the phone. You will get a bill for one month airtime plus prorata for the initial days before cancellation. A cooling off period only applies when you cancel completely, returning both the phone and the sim ie. a change of mind

If you have a direct debit in place, please don't cancel until your account has a zero balance and I strongly recommend you keep an eye on My O2 as O2 have been known to make errors by billing for the phone again even when you have paid it off.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes as said it's the full first bill for airtime so a month's worth plus a couple of days.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have spoken to chat a few times and each time they give me conflicting information. I was told TWICE that I would only have to pay for the days that my airtime was active/no. of days that I've used. Another told me there is no such thing as a 30 days minimmum term for 02 Refresh contracts, and another told me to pay the bill that has already be generated and that I will be able to get a refund. When I spoke to another on a different occasion they said that my airtime hadn't been cancelled at all! I was so frustrated that I ended up ringing them and they are trying to sort it out. Not happy that I'm being told different info each time. I don't think their live chat advisers are particularly well trained.

I have read the terms and conditions for 02 Refresh and if I have read and understood it correctly then I shouldn't have to pay for ther 1st full month. The airtime is cancelled immediately and the min. term is waived. Please read no.3 (last paragraph) below from 02's Terms and Conditions 1.3 (b) 3.

Thanks for all your replies slight_smile

1.3 O2 Refresh

(a) If you're an O2 Refresh customer you will get a Pay Monthly tariff that combines a 24-month Airtime Plan on a Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement and one or more Device Plans that allow you to pay for your equipment either upfront (the Cash Price) or by paying monthly instalments on a Consumer Credit Agreement. O2 Refresh is a tariff which is only sold in conjunction with equipment. Selected combinations of Device Plans and Airtime Plans with selected devices/bundles will include an up-front payment.

(b) If you've paid off your O2 Refresh Device Plan(s) (after 24 months or earlier if you choose to pay off early before the end of the 24 month term), you can either:

1. Decide to continue with your original Airtime Plan. In these circumstances, the combined Pay Monthly tariff will automatically reduce to reflect just the Airtime Plan tariff, until it is terminated on 30 days' notice in accordance with our Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement; or
  2. Take a new O2 Refresh deal. If you're paying off a Device Plan early we waive the remaining months of your linked Airtime Plan that you haven't used, allowing you to upgrade; or
  3. Terminate your Airtime Plan and Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement. We'll waive the remaining months of your linked Airtime Plan that you haven't used (as required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974), entitling you to terminate so that in these circumstances, your Airtime Plan will be treated as not having any remaining Minimum Period for the purposes of paragraph 8.3 of the Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement.

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Ii assume you mean you are paying off the device ?
If so, yes, you pay 1 month airtime and then it can be cancelled free of charge.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have already payed off the device in full slight_smile

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Great, so that's just 30 days notice you need to give and you're free slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9