cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh final bill concerns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon

I paid off the phone part of my iPhone 5s O2 Refresh contract and cancelled the airtime plan early. I was told on the phone at the time that I would have one final bill of £17.xx, which I have already paid.

I had a bill e-mailed to me today and it says that I owe £275.xx. 

I contacted the O2 Live Chat and they confirmed this is a mistake, I don't owe anything and the bill will be nullified, but I'm still a little concerned. Does anyone have any experience of this? 

My understanding is that I definitely should not owe anything, having paid off the phone part in full.

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 47
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

All due respect to live chat but I would urge you to contact O2 uk CS on 202 for clarification.

Refresh has two parts as you know. By paying off the phone part you then pay the contracted line rental for the remainder of the contract.

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh/speed-to-refresh

When you want to get the latest new smartphone, just pay off whatever's left on your Phone Plan, and you are free to upgrade. Or maybe you want to lower your monthly bill before 24 months is up. Just pay off your Phone Plan and carry on with the Airtime Plan for calls, texts and data.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

All due respect to live chat but I would urge you to contact O2 uk CS on 202 for clarification.

Refresh has two parts as you know. By paying off the phone part you then pay the contracted line rental for the remainder of the contract.

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh/speed-to-refresh

When you want to get the latest new smartphone, just pay off whatever's left on your Phone Plan, and you are free to upgrade. Or maybe you want to lower your monthly bill before 24 months is up. Just pay off your Phone Plan and carry on with the Airtime Plan for calls, texts and data.

Message 2 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi.

The thing is, this isn't what I was told when I rang up to pay off the phone part of my contract. I was told that I would pay £500 that day (for the phone) and would then only have one remaining £17 payment to make. I would never have agreed to pay off the remaining line rental on top of the phone. You see, I have two contracts, the one I'm talking about in this thread and another one which is up in September. I would have paid off the remaining line rental for the one that finishes in September as well as the phone part of my O2 Refresh contract, had I been made aware of having to pay off the remaining line rental as well. 

It's only today that I've actually thought that maybe I've made a horrible mistake, and the fact that I'm not taking out a new contract means I have to pay off the remaining line rental as well. Surely O2 should have advised me of this though? 

The Live Chat guy seems to think I have nothing to pay as well. I've taken screenshots of the chat so I'm leaning towards just waiting and seeing what happens. 

Message 3 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Live chat are non uk outsourced call centres who can lose things in translation and get things muddled up.

Again I urge you to ring CS on 202.

If You leave this and don't sort it O2 could still try to direct debit from your bank account and if there are not funds available because you think it's all paid up then bank charges could be charged for failed direct debits etc and Your service turned off which could end up with re connection fee's.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 4 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Live chat are non uk outsourced call centres who can lose things in translation and get things muddled up.

Again I urge you to ring CS on 202.

If You leave this and don't sort it O2 could still try to direct debit from your bank account and if there are not funds available because you think it's all paid up then bank charges could be charged for failed direct debits etc and Your service turned off which could end up with re connection fee's.

Let us know how you get on.

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh/frequent-questions#tabs

"How much does it cost to end your contract early on O2 Refresh? What do you charge for the leftover Airtime Plan?

With O2 Refresh, there's no penalty for ending your contract early. All you have to do is pay off the balance of your Phone Plan. There's no termination charge for ending your Airtime Plan once you've settled your Phone Plan."

That doesn't say that you have to pay the remaining airtime balance, but it doesn't explicitly say that you don't have to either. I guess it could be a very carefully worded FAQ answer, being that the remaining airtime balance isn't a "termination charge." Although it DOES say "All you have to do is pay off the balance of your phone plan." I've done that! 

I'll give them a ring.

Cheers

Message 5 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

But as you say O2 have asked for a lump sum of £275 which needs clarifying.

Message 6 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But as you say O2 have asked for a lump sum of £275 which needs clarifying.

O2 CS confirmed nothing to pay. Wrote down the date+time of the call and the guy's name. He said that within 3 working days the bill will be updated to reflect the fact that I don't owe anything. 

Phew grin

Thanks! 

Message 7 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Peace of mind my friend.

Phew indeed.
Message 8 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144783 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
The bill has to be an error. There is no requirement to pay off the airtime too with refresh.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
The bill has to be an error. There is no requirement to pay off the airtime too with refresh.

Evidently so.

@Anonymous said ;

"O2 CS confirmed nothing to pay. Wrote down the date+time of the call and the guy's name. He said that within 3 working days the bill will be updated to reflect the fact that I don't owe anything. "

Message 10 of 47