Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh and standing orders?

JaseIAm
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all.

Does anyone know if you can pay O2 refresh via standing order?

I guess there would be two, one for the device and another for the airtime.

But I can't find any detials?

Cheers guys

Jason

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @JaseIAm and all, just to clarify on the Refresh payments:

O2 Refresh payment is required to be Direct Debit as it is a credit agreement, and the T&Cs when accepting the Refresh agreement advises that 'All bills must be paid by direct debit.'

A standing order isn't an option to make payments on the Refresh agreements. People can cancel the DD after setting it up but they will then be responsible for making manual payments within the required time of the payment due date.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
As far as I know you can always cancel the direct debit and set up a standing order yourself with the bank but you would need the payment details from the direct debit.
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You can but you would potentially have a different airtime amount every month.
O2 expects payments for both via a direct debit which will be set up automatically when you take a new contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @JaseIAm and all, just to clarify on the Refresh payments:

O2 Refresh payment is required to be Direct Debit as it is a credit agreement, and the T&Cs when accepting the Refresh agreement advises that 'All bills must be paid by direct debit.'

A standing order isn't an option to make payments on the Refresh agreements. People can cancel the DD after setting it up but they will then be responsible for making manual payments within the required time of the payment due date.

Message 4 of 10

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35787 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

O2 Refresh does muck up payments a bit, I must say, @Marjo:

For years, I was able to let O2 take the money off my credit card every month, a combined figure including the airtime and the handset cost, regardless of where I found the best contract deal: O2, Phones4U, CellNet...

"Switch to Refresh, much more convenient!" they said...

Yeah, now 2 direct debits, and if you try and take the Airtime one off direct debit and put up a credit card for payments to be automatically withdrawn every month, the Device Plan payment gets a little lost.

So it's either DirectDebit, as set up when you got your phone and airtime plan, or manual payments, 2 per month, using O2 Wallet in the MyO2 app.

Of course, none of this was explained in the O2 Shop at the timethat  I took out the new Refresh agreement a year ago last January - no, they said "We only need the bank details to do the credit check, you can switch it back to your credit card with a call to O2 on 202 later". Yeah, right.LOL

I beg to differ, but hey - at least I got my VAT Invoice for airtime sorted within the year (I had had that forever too, before Refresh!).

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Refresh has worked fine for me over the past 4 years or so with my direct debit in place.
I don’t understand why anyone would want to change that and create hassle for themselves!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

pgn
  • 35787 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@MI5 - I used to have it charged against a credit card that returned some pennies/points to you for every pound spent on it. It adds up, over the years. Direct Debit just gets sucked straight out of the bank, no fringe benefit possible.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Not entirely true mate.
Santander offer better interest rates on your balance and money off household bills if you have 2 DD's going out.
https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-current-account

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

pgn
  • 35787 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Well I never - thanks, @MI5, food for thought there and then some.thumbsup

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
As you say, it all adds up wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10