cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 REGISTERED A DEFAULT WITHOUT TELLING ME ABOUT THE DEBT!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The story so far, from someone who has a squeaky clean credit file and has used 02 for years.................

Hello Julia,

Just because you cannot see any notes or disputes does not mean there was not one, as I said there was an online conversation with an O2 employee before this contract was terminated, the fact you have listed an incorrect date below of "01/02/12" shows me that mistakes are being made on your side. I have already stated in my previous email my grievance is that I only found out about the debt because I did a credit check before trying to taking out a mortgage, this small debt would have been paid way before it got to a state of default if I was notified there was something outstanding. As also stated in my previous email we have spoken to your debt collectors Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd who claim to have sent just 1 letter on the 28/12/12 which we never received.

It seems O2 have a past history of this sort of behaviour and are still doing it as shown in the Guardian piece (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/17/o2-debt-mortgage-application) who I have copied in on this email along with my MP and the Ombudsman. There are hundreds of other cases where you fail to inform your customers of any outstanding debt unless they find out my doing their own credit checks with one of the credit reference agencies.

I will not have a £20 default ruining my chances of obtaining a mortgage so I can move my family to a new home. If you do not remove this default I will cancel the other 2 business and 1 personal O2 phone contracts I still have running with you and will follow up with court action.

Regards

XXXX

Sent: Thursday, 11 July 2013, 12:21
Subject: RE: ICM 56678  1013528268

Hello XXX,

Thank you for your email.

I have taken a look at your account 1013528268 and can see that there are no notes or disputes regarding the disconnection.  Your credit file shows a correctly loaded default as the account  terminated on 01/02/2012 with x 2 arrears and a balance of £20.43. This was paid on 18/05/2013 which is outside the 14 day terms of your contract.

Regards

Julia
Credit Risk Analyst Capita
Capita O2 Partnership
Arlington Business Centre  Leeds  LS11 0NE  UK
Here

Sent: 03 July 2013 12:41
To: Credit File Referrals (UK)
Subject: ICM 56678 1013528268

Dear Sirs

Mr XXXX
XXXXX
XX
XXX
XXX

Mobile concerned:  07712 XXX
Account Number:  1013528268

Re:  Removal of default on above Account

In December, I spoke to one of your staff via your online instant messaging to cancel the above account which was for my daughter  As far as I was concerned this had been cancelled. This can be checked through your records, as this would of been recorded.

I received an email in December from yourselves (see below) stating that we owed £20.53 which we thought was paid, but after that we had not received any further communication regarding this..

In May this year, we applied for a mortgage and checked our credit rating and found out that we were 5 payments behind against our Equifax credit report for this O2 account.  We contacted you straight away and were advised by you that 02 could not do anything but to contact the debt recovery agency, Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd.

When we contacted Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited, we spoke to a member od staff called Jane and paid the outstanding amount immediately and asked when the correspondence had been sent to us as we had not received any letters.  They stated they sent a letter on 28 December 2012, which we never received and also said they think they left a message on my wife's phone but could not give me the phone number or a date.  I can assure you this was not the case as we would of acted immediately, and why would they leave a message on my wife's phone. We asked if they could remove this default and said we would have to go back to 02 for this to be removed.

On the credit report it is now showing as a default but when we first discovered this around the 18th May it had a rating of 5 payments outstanding and was paid immediately

I have been an 02 customer for many years and currently have a business contract with two separate mobiles attached and as you can see from my history I have never missed any payment on the contracts I hold with you nor with this one which we had started in Jan 2011. We have also ensured that any credit accounts we have and had been kept completely up to date knowing that we would be moving properties in the near future. We believe that this default and all associated late payments should be removed from the credit reference agencies as we had no correspondence from Moorcroft or yourselves and certainly none after the 08/01/2013.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

XXXX

Hello Mr XXXX
Your O2 bill for 01/12/12 is now ready. You can look at your bill here.
To see your bill, you'll need the username and password you were given when you joined O2. If you've forgotten them, we can give you a reminder.
In total, your bill for this month comes to £20.43.
Is your bill more than you were expecting ?
If so, here's a few reasons why this might be:
    * You could have gone over the minutes, texts or data that's in your allowance.
    * You could have called or sent texts to numbers that can't be taken from your allowance such as International, 0800, 0845 numbers or directory enquiries.
    * You have used your phone for calls, text or data whilst abroad.
To view any charges outside your allowance click here.
Please arrange to pay this by the date in your bill. You can pay using a debit or credit card either online or call customer service and select the 'billing and payments' option.
However, Direct Debit is by far the easiest way to pay. Just call customer service with your account details, and we'll do the rest.
If you have any questions, just ask Lucy. She's our online virtual agent. You can also find out more about what's included in your bill with an online demonstration.
Best regards
O2
This email is sent from Telefónica UK Limited. Registered office:
260 Bath Road,Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX. Registered number: 1743099.
Please do not reply.

This electronic message contains information from Telefonica UK or Telefonica Europe which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email.
Switchboard: +44 (0)113 272 2000
Email: feedback@o2.com
Telefonica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX Registered in England and Wales: 1743099. VAT number: GB 778 6037 85
Telefonica Europe plc 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX Registered in England and Wales: 05310128. VAT number: GB 778 6037 85
Telefonica Digital Limited  260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX Registered in England and Wales: 7884976. VAT number: GB 778 6037 85                          

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You can contact the credit agencies and ask to put a note on the account explaining the circumstances. We always advise on here never to cancel the direct debit until a zero bill has been produced. Unfortunately, because there was an outstanding debt it's unlikely that the default would be removed but hopefully with a note on file it won't affect you too much.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an email in December from yourselves (see below) stating that we owed £20.53 which we thought was paid, but after that we had not received any further communication regarding this..

Sorry but don't think you've really got much case for an arguement, as you have stated that you DID recieve a bill for the amount but you 'thought was paid'.  Did you enquire with O2 that this was the case or did you just leave it?

Fear that if you've emailed them saying that you did recieve the bill but did not pay it/enquire about it O2 will have the upperhand 😞

I completely sympathise with you and your situation, as I would agree that they really should have had further communication with yourself when it wasn't paid, also fairly sure they must give you written warning that a default would be placed on your account without payment. 

You can raise a dispute with the credit reference agencies, I have done so in the past and have had false negative information removed from my credit files.

Message 2 of 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You can contact the credit agencies and ask to put a note on the account explaining the circumstances. We always advise on here never to cancel the direct debit until a zero bill has been produced. Unfortunately, because there was an outstanding debt it's unlikely that the default would be removed but hopefully with a note on file it won't affect you too much.

Message 3 of 3