Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Nokia Lumia 820 & 4G

Salem874
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've got a quick question which I hope someone on here can advise me on.

Last November, I upgraded my O2 contract to a Nokia Lumia 820, a 4G LTE capable phone. The 4G however has been disabled (understandably) as O2 didn't offer 4G and there was now guarantee if/when they would.

While helping my mother shop around, I noticed the Lumia 820 is now listed with a nice round 4G symbol on O2's online store.

My question now is, will O2/Nokia enable 4G on MY Nokia Lumia 820 when O2 launches 4G in the coming months? Surely they should? Or are the people upgrading/joining only going to be getting 4G capable Lumia 820s? Also, has anyone got one from O2 since it's labelled as 4G? If so, Is "4G" (or similar) listed as an option under "Fastest Connection Speed" in Network Settings?

I'm just wondering if they'll try and force us who upgraded just months ago to phones that technically does support 4G, but which they have disabled, in order to get any 4G service they offer? (NOTE: I'm aware they may be a higher charge for 4G services).

I've tried to ask O2 on Twitter, all they pointed me to was their 4G page which lists 4F capable pho..., which i got from them just 4.5 months ago.

Does anyone know what the other network's plans are? I'm sure O2 aren't they only ones who just months ago supplied 4G capable phone but had the manufacture disable the 4G functionality due to lack of network support at the time of sale. (Am I allowed to ask this about other networks on an O2 forum?)

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rawrz
Level 13: Prompter
  • 70 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 25 Solutions
the phone is 4g enabled and when 4g arrives to o2 it will work. however untill the launch of 4g no one can be sure if tge tariffs will alter or not. you will prob need a 4g sim.

you can check www.o2.co.uk/4g and sign up for updates

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I would say that O2 should enable the 4g support on your phone that's only my opinion but I think it's the only fair thing for them to do really if not I think they will have lots of unhappy customers
Message 2 of 5

Salem874
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah, thats my thought as well. Especially as they phone techinically is capable and they're clearly now selling the phone clearly labelled as 4G.

It's also been well publicised that Nokia never made a non-4G Lumia 820 (or 920 for that matter), the hardware's all there in all devices, it's just disabled via firmware.

I was just wondering if O2 have said anything to anyway about this.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure on that one hopefully someone in the know will be able to help
Message 4 of 5

rawrz
Level 13: Prompter
  • 70 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 25 Solutions
the phone is 4g enabled and when 4g arrives to o2 it will work. however untill the launch of 4g no one can be sure if tge tariffs will alter or not. you will prob need a 4g sim.

you can check www.o2.co.uk/4g and sign up for updates
Message 5 of 5