cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 New Sim Card with new phone. Will I get a new number ?

MikePres
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I am upgrading my monthly sim card payment and taking the opportunity to buy a new O2 iphone SE.

I have included a new sim card in the purchase deal.

Will the new sim card be a new phone number for me to use ?  If so then thats what I want to do.

Will my current monthly payment on my current contract automatically be cancelled and transferred over to the new payment with the hopefully new number ?  

Wish there was an online chat to discuss this.

Thanks

Mike

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

O2Nathan
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @MikePres

It depends. Check your order details - if it was done as a new contract you'll have a new number with it. If this is the case, use your new sim with your new phone.

If it was done as an upgrade, there will be no new number and your existing one will continue to function.

Your current contract will not be cancelled automatically in either case. If you wish to cancel your contract, contact customer services (202 from your O2 number)

I hope this clears things up a little. Let me know if it doesn't!
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@MikePres 

Your contract will just run into the new one with the old one ending automatically.

Your bill generation and payment dates stay the same.

You will need to call O2 to get a new number though as upgrades will retain your old number by default.

Contact numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

The best number to get through seems to be
0800 587 4005

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

O2Tracey
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 103 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
If it's an upgrade and you require a new number if you contact customer service in 202 they can assist you on having a new number for your existing contract.
Message 4 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@MikePres If you do want a new number, O2 allows one change for free, but you will have to call to request it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 7

MikePres
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks.  I've been trawling the O2 website and I can't see a phone number to call and the online chat seems to be out of action as well.

Anyone know what O2 Contact I could call to change my mobile number ?

Thanks

Mike

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions