cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Lease 750 12 Month Premier - O2 Changing Their Mind?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

First post here, quick 'get you up to speed'

I've been a customer of O2 for years. For whatever reason, I've put up with the lack of customer service and shocking signal coverage, and stuck with them, more for convenience than anything else. Last year, when upgrading, I was told by a sales rep in the Corby store that because I like to have the latest iPhone, I would be best taking out a least contract that they were offering existing customers, but not publicising. The 750 12 Month Premier, one that Vodafone are now copying and agressively marketing. 

I was told that I could sell my phone back to them last year (which I did), have the iPhone4S (which I did), and provided I return it in good condition (I'm actually returning it in pristene condition) a year later, they would simply swap it for the next model. 

So imagine my surprise when I called the Corby store today, only to be told that they would NOT give me an iPhone5, unless I signed up to a 24 month contract! 

I'm absolutely livid about this, and feel as though O2 have utterly missold me. The young man at the Corby branch did try to 'think of a solution', but in the end suggested I call customer services. I just spent 15 minutes on hold waiting to speak to someone, gave up and decided to try this instead. 

Could anyone from O2 reading this please advise me of what to do, as well as clarifying this for other people who may be in the same situation? My request is simple. I wish to carry on the CONTRACT that I signed last year, under the terms I agreed to, which I don't think is unreasonable. If not, I will leave O2, join Vodafone, and seek compensation in the courts, 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You can only move to a new contract as per the advice on the support pages type in lease and you will see the pages that state

I want to upgrade my O2 Lease

O2 Lease is no longer available for upgrades however you can upgrade to one of our standard Pay Monthly or Simplicity tariffs.

You need to call 202 and ask there advice

and yes the t&c will have covered it

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Do you have this contract in writing?

I've never heard of a contract on O2 that gives you a free handset forever.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://news.o2.co.uk/?press-release=o2-announces-o2-lease-the-first-smartphone-leasing-programme-in-...

Taken from the O2 website itself. I will be digging out the contract later on, but it's pretty black and white when you read the article. The entire point of the deal, and the only reason I joined, was that I would be able to walk back into a store each year and swap my phone.

Message 3 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That's not a contract it's a lease and you need to contact O2 to see what your options are.

I don't see why you should have a problem.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I thought that the consumer lease had been ended! look at the t&c page and it says pre 28th june 2012 for consumer tariffs

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I didn't know they had a consumer version, thought it was business only.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys, 

Whilst I appreciate your replies, I think my actual 'beef' here is being lost in translation. 

O2 may well have themselves protected from a legal point of view. I'd be surprised if they hadn't. The point I'm trying to make is that I signed up to a deal on a promise 12 months ago, that is now not being honoured. The deal at the time was, 

"Walk into any O2 store and swap your handset for the latest handset"

The fact that they've now 'decided' to stop offering this is by the by. I'm now left over a barrel; Either give us the phone back and go to another operator or sign up to a 24 month contract, something that I clearly don't want to do, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the lease in the first place! 

If it comes to it, O2 will have lost another customer today. 

Message 7 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Not really, we needed to know what you were talking about.

As it's a lease and they seem to have been discontinued, I don't know where that leaves you.

You won't be able to force them to offer something that they no longer do.

Awkward!

Message 8 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You can only move to a new contract as per the advice on the support pages type in lease and you will see the pages that state

I want to upgrade my O2 Lease

O2 Lease is no longer available for upgrades however you can upgrade to one of our standard Pay Monthly or Simplicity tariffs.

You need to call 202 and ask there advice

and yes the t&c will have covered it

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 9