cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 JPEG web compression - worries for iPhone 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've known O2 recompress JPEGS over mobile data for a while. I've been with O2 since the original iPhone launch. I got an O2 sim when the first iPad came out but realised quickly that while I could ignore blocky pictures on a small phone screen I couldn't on a large iPad screen. The same is true of surfing the web tethered to an O2 mobile device. Seeing pictures on a laptop screen look shocking.

So I could overlook it on a small phone screen. But now we come to the new iPhones and I can't see anyway around it other then moving from O2. Unless we know they aren't going to implement the same system for larger system for larger screen phones.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about. O2 re-compresses images in realtime as you request them over mobile data to make them smaller. Its the equivalent of opening an image in Photoshop and re saving it with the quality at 40%. It's easy to test for yourself. Turn off wifi and go to any favourite picture online. Tap and hold to save. Then switch wifi back on. Reload the image and do the same thing. Now flick back and forth between them. Zooming in on any details. One will be much blocker then the other as soon as you start to zoom in.

My question is. Does anyone know a way around this? Does this still happen with larger android phones? (I presume so) and is there an official O2 stance about it?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Changing those settings seems to have worked beautifully. Nice crips images over 3G. Now I can go back to choosing which size iPhone to get. Many thanks. slight_smile
Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I did PM you earlier wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions