cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 JPEG web compression - worries for iPhone 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've known O2 recompress JPEGS over mobile data for a while. I've been with O2 since the original iPhone launch. I got an O2 sim when the first iPad came out but realised quickly that while I could ignore blocky pictures on a small phone screen I couldn't on a large iPad screen. The same is true of surfing the web tethered to an O2 mobile device. Seeing pictures on a laptop screen look shocking.

So I could overlook it on a small phone screen. But now we come to the new iPhones and I can't see anyway around it other then moving from O2. Unless we know they aren't going to implement the same system for larger system for larger screen phones.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about. O2 re-compresses images in realtime as you request them over mobile data to make them smaller. Its the equivalent of opening an image in Photoshop and re saving it with the quality at 40%. It's easy to test for yourself. Turn off wifi and go to any favourite picture online. Tap and hold to save. Then switch wifi back on. Reload the image and do the same thing. Now flick back and forth between them. Zooming in on any details. One will be much blocker then the other as soon as you start to zoom in.

My question is. Does anyone know a way around this? Does this still happen with larger android phones? (I presume so) and is there an official O2 stance about it?
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, image compression is still applied and also the same for video.
I use "bypass" as my apn which helps but the only real fix is an alternative provider who doesn't compress data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I've not noticed that in my iPad Air.

I suppose we won't know if this occurs with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus until someone gets their hands on one.
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
 Does anyone know a way around this? 

Use Wifi slight_smile

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using wifi kind of defeats the object though, doesn't it? It's 'mobile' data. slight_smile

If you've never noticed it. I urge you to try my little test. You'll be amazed at how poor images over mobile data look.
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, image compression is still applied and also the same for video.
I use "bypass" as my apn which helps but the only real fix is an alternative provider who doesn't compress data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I knew I couldn't be just me who noticed. Does adding bypass make things 'normal' ? Can you provide more details on entering the bypass settings? Thanks for your help 😀
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. That's great. I know many people may not notice, like I said. I Haven't cared with a small screen. But going forward it's unacceptable. I'll try the settings. Thanks
Message 9 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I notice Chrome now comes with data compression and management which links into the Android Data Manager in a way. Opera Max does this as well however when I first tried it there was a lot of battery drain when using it.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 10 of 13