Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Increase Prices for Pre and Post 23rd January 2014 contracts

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

O2 have found a loophole around the OFCOM ruling it would seem and have announced an increase of 2.7% with effect from 1st March 2014 for ALL customers regardless of whether you signed up before or after the ruling came into effect.

Standard tariff customers will have their whole tariff increased by 2.7%. Refresh customers will have the airtime only element of their tariff increased by 2.7%. The handset element of refresh tariffs will be unchanged.

Details at http://www.o2.co.uk/desktop/prices

Also posted in the thread discussing the OFCOM ruling but I thought this merited its own thread too

Message 1 of 208
207 REPLIES 207

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Why are payg always exempt from this again

Because we are lucky slight_smile

Message 11 of 208

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because we are lucky slight_smile

Don't get too smug, yours could be a couple of weeks away! tongue

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 208

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

Don't get too smug, yours could be a couple of weeks away! tongue

Don't jinx us lovely PAYG customers tongue

Message 13 of 208

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

More than likely because they are free to leave at any time

Message 14 of 208

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27613 Solutions
I'll be using an alternative supplier from now on for my back up PAYG phone....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 208

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I use the giffgaff SIM for International calls and 0800 (free on giffgaff unlike O2) and a 3,2,1 SIM in my other phone wink

Doesn't pay to have all your eggs in one basket Smiley Indifferent

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 16 of 208

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27613 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

I use the giffgaff SIM for International calls and 0800 (free on giffgaff unlike O2) and a 3,2,1 SIM in my other phone wink

Doesn't pay to have all your eggs in one basket Smiley Indifferent

Exactly the same as me, O2 4G sim as daily driver, gg £10 goodybag for 0800, 0808 & 0500 (+cheap MMS (16p)) and a back up 321 sim for the areas that I don't get 3g/4g data signal on O2.

The gg & 321 sim are in a dual sim capable phone so it reduces the amount of tech I have to carry around with me wink

I'm also forced to have an EE phone for work but we don't talk about that Crazy

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well, another number port to another network when my contract ends.

I moved to O2 from Three as recommendations that O2 was better in Scotland. Call coverage is better, but data (even in Glasgow and Edinburgh) is hot or miss - no better than Three.

I know they are all as bad as each other - only Vodafone left for a full set. Will move on principal - O2 really didn't need to do this.

Message 18 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope and they are going to be losing lots of customers
Message 19 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable

To understand the price increase you first need to understand the business.

1. On other threads there is repeated reference to o2 picking up hundreds of thousands of new customers. As a result of this their network capacity is now struggling so much that on other threads lots of people are complaining about sudden sizeable drops in signal.

2. O2 will know that by putting prices up some customers will leave. This reduces strain on the network improving signal for the customers that remain.

3. It is widely speculated that Telefonica will sell up to Three. This may or may not be true but if they are looking to sell up putting prices up in the short term helps to increase value of the business.

My gut feel is that o2 are going to be sold as the timing and content of the announcement is a dreadful PR issue for them.

So. If you don't like it then you know what o2 will say?Leave if you don't like it. O2 don't listen to their customers over so many issues such as repair times for faulty masts for example.
Message 20 of 208