Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Increase Prices for Pre and Post 23rd January 2014 contracts

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

O2 have found a loophole around the OFCOM ruling it would seem and have announced an increase of 2.7% with effect from 1st March 2014 for ALL customers regardless of whether you signed up before or after the ruling came into effect.

Standard tariff customers will have their whole tariff increased by 2.7%. Refresh customers will have the airtime only element of their tariff increased by 2.7%. The handset element of refresh tariffs will be unchanged.

Details at http://www.o2.co.uk/desktop/prices

Also posted in the thread discussing the OFCOM ruling but I thought this merited its own thread too

Message 1 of 208
207 REPLIES 207

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't even been notified yet!

Message 91 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing, even if I was in a position to pay off my phone plan as a point of principle (I would if I had the money!) O2 won't unlock an iPhone 5S yet meaning that my phone is worth less if I sell it / trade it in and I couldn't use it SIM free on another network!

Message 92 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable
I only got the email about half an hour ago you could sell it to somewhere like CEX they buy them locked but I would wait till O2 unlock it free then tell them where to shove it
Message 93 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly I haven't even made a payment on the phone yet and I don't have the £600 otherwise I would!  No idea which network to try next though!

Message 94 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah that is quite a chunk of money guess we will just have to swallow it for now unless which can get things turned around
Message 95 of 208

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sadly I haven't even made a payment on the phone yet and I don't have the £600 otherwise I would!  No idea which network to try next though!

How much is your monthly increase?

There is nothing added to the phone of course.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 96 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's only about 50p so not a great deal, it's just the principal and the fact it will automatically go up again next year!  Obviously my principals aren't strong enough to part with that sort of money though!!!

To be fair to Vodafone (:smileysurprised:) I don't recall many price increases in the years I was with them.  That still doesn't make up for the other issues though!

I hate it when any company does this, not only O2 - when you are tied into a contract they shouldn't be able to increase the price.  The problem is you'd have no services left if you told every company to stick it!

Message 97 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable
Trouble is the bolt ons go up as well 😞
Message 98 of 208

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The problem is you'd have no services left if you told every company to stick it!

This is the problem when they've all done it where can you go?

This time it about the side stepping of the Ofcom rules though.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 99 of 208

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apart from the flagrant abuse of a contract which was previously called "fixed", I object to their casual use of RPI rather than the commonly used (and government preferred) CPI as their reference. The reason is simply that the increase in RPI was bigger. Last year they didn't even tell us it was RPI (I had to dig). They breezily called it 'inflation'

My contract runs out in May. My association with O2 will also expire then.

Message 100 of 208