Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Fair Usage Policy in regards to mobile data

Sergio
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, after spending hours reading through terms and conditions, excessive use policy and fair usage policy, I can not find in writing the actual O2 limit which it applies to customers who use their data excessively. The reason I am asking this, is that I have a iPhone simplicity 20 Sim only card which I got back in 19th March 2010 and never had any issues until now (my data been blocked). My plan has unlimited data with iPhone Web bolt on. I have contacted O2 several times to find at what point is data throttled or stopped on this plan and nobody can give me a figure and there is no actual written limited in any of O2 policies. But i found out that the iPhone simplicity 20 unlimited plan has a data cap of 10GB on it from one of the team leaders I spoke. How is this how is this unlimited? Is the fair use policy limit 10GB then?

I questioned if I took a 50GB Data sim card plan, how would the the fair use policy would apply to it. He stated it would not as you paying for the 50GB.

So with my unlimited data plan, fair usage plicy is applied when my usage reaches 10GB in a month, even if there is no set written limit, but of a 50GB data plan it is not. Sorry but am I missing nothing?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sergio It might be something to do with you are on an old tariff & o2 don’t do unlimited anymore. They haven’t for a few years now

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The old legacy tariffs were getting blocked at 4gb previously.
This was designed by O2 to force people off them as they were potentially costly to O2.
I'm not aware that anyone actually challenged the legality of it but no doubt O2 would have some excuse to justify it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

An old thread https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Pay-Monthly-4GB-Download-Monthly-Limit-unlimited-data-cont... So i am surprised you have only just been blocked etc 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

How on earth can data be unlimited when it’s limited to 4GB ?

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Skyhawk1010 wrote:

How on earth can data be unlimited when it’s limited to 4GB ?

That's due to the "FUP" they dreamt up.

Back when these tariffs were introduced, you would have struggled to use 500mb a month, but as data requirements advanced, these tariffs became a huge issue for the networks.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Skyhawk1010 Before 4G, O2 offered an unlimited data plan that some tried to stay with for as long as they could, even if they could only get 3G. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I had the exact same sim only which suited me but once they imposed the silly FUP of 4GB, there were much better deals for less money. The only thing I miss is the 4:1 overseas texts/mms.

Message 8 of 9

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Ah..I know what it is !

4GB of 4G Data is equivalent to unlimited data on 3G .

Message 9 of 9