cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Debt Collection - Dispelling The Myths

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have seen numerous threads on here from members who say they didn't realise they owed o2 any monies after their contract ended.

Some said they weren't aware.
Some said they weren't contacted.
Some had defaults on their Credit File.
Some thought bailiffs would come a knocking.

So to dispel the myths, here is what actually happens when someone ends their agreement with o2 but doesn't clear the debt. .......

Firstly it is important for people to understand that o2, like most major companies dealing in consumer markets, update credit files every month with your payment history. This helps to reduce fraud and losses. If you don't pay your bill on time (or within a few days) your credit file will show this.

At the end of your agreement:

O2 will first issue a final bill and that will be sent by the same format as previous bills, usually electronically.

In the event of non payment, o2 will try to contact the debtor by the method the customer requested at the beginning of their agreement i.e. by email or by letter. O2 will try up to 4 times to contact the debtor.

Due to the volumes, o2 will not chase small debts by telephone. The cost to do so would be enormous and born by ongoing customers.

In the event of non payment, like most companies who offer services on any form of credit or under contract to consumers, o2 will update the payment records with the major credit reference agencies.

When consumers like you and I seek to borrow money or start a new contract for goods or services, a credit check may be taken. If a debtor has default(s) on their credit file this will show up. It is then up to the company to decide if they want to supply you or not.

O2 may, if the outstanding debts warrant this, pass the debts to 3rd party debt collection companies. These companies use a variety of methods to contact the debtor and try to reach an acceptable payment plan. Note these companies are not bailiffs. Nor do they have bailiff powers.

Ok so now we know what o2 do, let's dispel some of the myths. Let's see what o2 DON'T do. .....

O2 do not employ bailiffs.
O2 do not sell the debt.
O2 do not instruct bully boy doorstep debt collectors.
O2 do not destroy credit files.

Remember, if you owe the debt, pay it. Leave your direct debit in place until the final payment has been collected. If you can't afford to pay the final balance in one go, talk to o2 and discuss a payment plan. But please, don't ignore it. It won't go away and as we have seen before it can result in problems later down the line which will cause the debtor stress and hassle which could do easily have been avoided.
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
For clarification the debt is not sold to Lowell. Lowell are a debt collection company. Your details and debt information are passed to them to collect the debt. Lowell will then pay collected monies less their commission to o2.

The fact there is a default on there in terms of who is chasing the debt is broadly irrelevant.

This is what I've always understood. O2 are no different from any other company chasing debts. Sell it on. ..

Message 21 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
There isa very clear difference between selling the debt and passing it over to a debt collection agency Bob. Perhaps @Anonymous can confirm with o2 debt recovery as previously she has also said she didn't know the exact process
Message 22 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have  check it  already,when I did the initial post . I mentioned it wasn't my area of expertise ,not that I didn't know the process. After I spoke to them and being explained in full detail ( I swear I didn't ask for it, but he was just so excited) , I then posted what I think is relevant to customers. The criteria used by the company is an internal policy  that wouldn't add  anything to the customers knowledge or change the outcome or the way the debt is recovered. 

Message 23 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
I left O2 in December 2014, after a 6 month battle over extra charges to my phone bill(which I won and then was given permission to leave contract early without payment).
6 months on and as of this week I'm now getting multiple daily calls and texts from a debt collection company (never heard of them before).
Apparently O2 are still claiming that I owe them money when it was all cleared up. I have spoken to customer services and been told that my account was left "open" and as such they are pursuing me for yet another charge. Though the customer service person I spoke to informed me that none of my previous 6+ official complaints had been followed up and it appeared as though I had settled any disputes before I left last year.
Can someone please explain how O2 are able to get away with this gigantic **bleep** up and how I should go about dealing with this quite persistent debt collection company who have bought the debt from O2, especially as there shouldn't be any debt in the first place!
Message 24 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

As you say a real mess by O2...Iwould put in an official complaint

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 59

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

When o2 cockup it's usually big time and it's the customer left chasing things. Trying to get them to put things right is fraught with stress and worry. They used to have a high level complaints team, they need to reintroduce it!

Message 26 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've raised sooooo many official complaints. Half never appear to even be typed up by the schmuck you speak to on the phone. The other half get left in the managements inbox/junkbox by the looks of things.
I'm still waiting on someone to return my call from the beginning of this week. Until then I've informed the debt collectors that it is a massive Fock up on O2's part and to stop chasing me, doubt they'll listen 😡
Message 27 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've raised sooooo many official complaints. Half never appear to even be typed up by the schmuck you speak to on the phone. The other half get left in the managements inbox/junkbox by the looks of things.
I'm still waiting on someone to return my call from the beginning of this week. Until then I've informed the debt collectors that it is a massive Fock up on O2's part and to stop chasing me, doubt they'll listen 😡

I am going to tag @Toby into this message. he is the Community Co-ordinator and may be able to help. Not on till Monday but he will respond to you..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 59

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ty guys. Let's hope they sort stuff out soon
Message 30 of 59