O2 Data Travel experience

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Here's what kind of data speeds I was enjoying whilst roaming in Ireland:

wp_ss_20150121_0003.png

I wasn't really a heavy user though - 10-20 emails a day, occasional Messenger/Whatsapp text here and there, that's about it.

Also noticed that I would not be able to make a call via a VOIP/SIP app. The app showed that I have logged into my VOIP provider's account no problem, but wasn't able to connect my call at all - no dial tone, nothing. Everything worked ok when switched on to WiFi. Never tried Skype or Viber though.

What's your experience with O2 roaming in EU?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93182 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Roamed in Spain mainland, Tenerife and similar speeds to yours. Berlin was good though, around 3 most of the time.
Message 2 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122814 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Nowadays I 'roam' mainly in southern Spain. I have never looked at the speeds as I rarely have a problem.

Lucky me wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Pretty pitiful speed  @cyrillicguy I'm surprised you were even able to send an email.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 17

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Pretty pitiful speed  @cyrillicguy I'm surprised you were even able to send an email.

It was actually ok sort of in terms of using email and messaging apps. It was just when I decided to open some website in my phone's browser, I got a bit suspicious that the speeds I was getting were not quite  "proper 3G" speeds. That was when I decided to do a quick SpeedTest run.

Message 5 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

From your screenshot, those aren't even proper dial-up speeds! Was this everywhere you went, or just in specific areas?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
When in France recently I used the search network function and it showed which networks were 2,3&4g and allowed me to manually choose the network i liked.
Orange & Bouygues offered the best 3g&4g speeds and I found myself going between these for data usage.
I could easily get over 5mb per second with up to 20mb possible in certain locations.
Message 7 of 17

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

From your screenshot, those aren't even proper dial-up speeds! Was this everywhere you went, or just in specific areas?

I was in Dublin all the time, mostly in the central part of the city, although did go to the suburbs for a short while. I only bothered measuring the speed a couple of times to be honest, and I was located right in the city center at the time.

Message 8 of 17

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
When in France recently I used the search network function and it showed which networks were 2,3&4g and allowed me to manually choose the network i liked.
Orange & Bouygues offered the best 3g&4g speeds and I found myself going between these for data usage.
I could easily get over 5mb per second with up to 20mb possible in certain locations.

Thanks for sharing that, I'll keep that in mind when in France slight_smile

I also tried to play with the different networks when in Ireland. The O2 would be the one that got selected automatically. When manually selected the Irish 3 network, I got data disabled altogether, although voice seemed to work fine. As for Meteor, it seemed to be the same story as with O2, i.e. data and voice worked, but data speeds were about the same as ones shown on the screenshot. Haven't tried the Irish Vodafone though.

I wasn't that bothered. As long as I could update my emails and send a couple of IMs, I was happy enough. The only dissapointment was that I was unable to use my phone for VOIP calls for some reason.

Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 93182 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As a mate of interest,  didn't you rather use up the data allowance doing speed checks.  I did for sure. ..

Message 10 of 17