Did you mean: 

O2 Classic PAYG SIM

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello,

I'm a very infrequent phone user and have been on a cheap Talkmobile PAYG tariff for several years. However they are stopping this service at the end of August so I am being forced to find another PAYG without monthly top ups.

So far I've only been able to find the O2 Classic sim but having difficulty finding some info about them.

1. I have read that I would need to top up every 6 months (min £10) to keep the phone active. Is this true or would just sending a text keep it active? I don't use £10 in 2 years let alone every 6 months!

2. I use my phone's internet access via Bluetooth for tomtom sat nav traffic updates on long journeys (roughly 3 or 4 times a year). I believe this is known as tethering which isn't allowed on some tarrifs (ID mobile for example). Is that allowed on this O2 Classic sim? And charged at the same rate as normal internet use?

3. And finally, can I order an O2 Classic sim with my current phone number already on it? Or do I have to order one with a new number and then change it once I've got it?

Thanks in advance, getting confused with all the terms and conditions!
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You only need to send a text or make a call every 6 months. A top up is required every 999 days.
Tethering is allowed.
You will need to get a PAC from your current network then port it in to your o2 sim after you have set one up and activated it.
https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=port_migrate&case=Port/Migrate%20In%20Form
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You only need to send a text or make a call every 6 months. A top up is required every 999 days.
Tethering is allowed.
You will need to get a PAC from your current network then port it in to your o2 sim after you have set one up and activated it.
https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=port_migrate&case=Port/Migrate%20In%20Form
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2 official advice here too https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Brilliant, thank you!
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No worries.
Welcome to the forum slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, me again! I activated the new o2 SIM yesterday and ported the number from my old SIM today, then sent a text to activate the new number as instructed online.

But after checking balance, I've lost exactly £1 of credit, plus the 5p for the text. I have not got data switched on and haven't made any other calls.

Did it cost £1 to port the number across? I didn't read anywhere that it would cost to do so. If not, do you know where that pound has gone?

Thanks, Tom.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There's no charge to port your number and even with data on, you are charged per mb on your tariff, not the £1 daily charge, so there's no reason for a £1 to be missing.
Ask Live Chat where it's gone and I suspect they will re credit it for you.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7