cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 3G is rubbish

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just come back to O2 from three after 3 years because they didn't offer me the business side of I needed. Wish now I'd never bothered. With three I hardly ever lost my 3G signal, with O2 I hardly ever have it. I have iPhone 6 and often travel down the country, before I could stream spotify or the radio and only lose it once or twice for a few seconds. Now I'm lucky if I get a song finished before gprs appears on my phone. Wish I'd never bothered now. And as for 4g, I've never seen this once!!! I won't be back
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm Sorry to hear of your experience.

This is one of the reasons why we always suggest to a person to try out Payg SIM cards for a network their interested in to see if signal is adequate where they live , work and commute.

Coverage checkers are not 100% but a person can check masts status to give an indication too.

O2 is http://status.o2.co.uk
Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Regardless of what signal you are supposed to get, mast congestion on 3G is limiting connection speeds in many parts of the country at the moment.
O2 are rolling out an upgrade plan but we don't know the details of this or when a specific area will be upgraded.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well at least you aren't trying to deny your coverage is rubbish, but how am I meant to try a payg on a brand new phone? Unless I pay up front for it. How about instead, you providing what you say, instead of coming out with excuses
Message 4 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No one is making excuses here - We are all customers too and many of us agree with you.
I'm mostly in a 4G area so I'm not too effected but when I am stuck on 3G it's woeful unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Other ways are asking around what network people use in your area.

As indicated Borospark this is a customer to customer forum where we all spend personal time to share experience , share advice and learn.
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

As someone who only gets 2g I can sympathise with you. As MI5 has advised, we are all customers on here so whilst we have individual opinions on o2 signal performance o2 themselves will not respond on here.

Personally I am shocked at how bad o2 have become. Much of the country is now covered in 2g which is fine for calls and texts but that is it. For 3g even if you can get a signal congestion frequently means you can't use it and 4g? Well I think it exists.

All we can say here is that you need to find the network that provides you with signal in the areas you need it most. Don't rely on operators coverage checkers either. Use payg sims and check coverage out thoroughly.

Good luck.
Message 7 of 17

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Just hope the below agreement helps with alleviating the current plight of o2's 3g network

http://www.telecoms.com/297021/o2-to-roll-out-fibre-nationwide/

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed. O2 are certainly struggling with their network and capacity continues to be an issue.

That said all the networks use BT Fibre infrastructure amongst others and there is talk that BT are struggling capacity as a result of our insatiable demand for data. As more people use the Internet to download tv and film could we see a day when downloading of tv and film are scheduled for non core times like overnight? Just a thought
Message 9 of 17

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Currently in the UK, only BT, Virgin and Cable & Wireless are the leading fibre optic providers to the best of my knowledge. All four of the leading network providers rent from one or two of the above providers, but Vodafone purchased Cable & Wireless for only one reason, for their fibre optic network and in the long term will most likely ditch BT/Virgin once their deals expire.

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 10 of 17