Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbers covered by free minutes allowance

Gemini566
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I note that we are going to be charged for certain numbers in July this year, but I cannot seem to find what the situation is regarding which numbers are counted as part of my unlimited minutes allowance right now.

For example, is an 0845 number free to call from my S5 when I have unlimited calls and texts on my tariff?

Thank you for your time and attention to my query.

Gemini566

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
See here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/special-numbers
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
See here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/special-numbers
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Basically the only numbers covered by your allowances are01, 02 and 03 numbers and all uk mobiles. 

Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Note this is expected to change in December when 0800 numbers should also be free from a mobile.
Message 4 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Apparently under a new system called UK Calling this will change in July not December

"This will make the cost of calling service numbers clear for everyone. It's called UK Calling, and it's the biggest change to telephone calls in over a decade".

http://www.ukcalling.info/

Please click on the link at the right hand side of the article  for a more in depth explanation

(credit to Adam Temperton for the link)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Thanks for the clarification and link supplied by Adam @Cleoriff What's unfortunate is that Ofcom are going to allow numbers beginning with 084 and 087 to carry on. You're still going to be charged. They're just making it easier for you to know how much you're being ripped off by. It makes my blood boil that utility companies use these numbers. I pay them enough. If I'm calling to query a charge or to report a fault, why should I have to pay for the privilege of doing that? It appears from that link is all that's being done is to make calls to 0800 numbers from mobiles free.

Using www.saynoto0870.com to avoid those extortionate numbers stays in my bookmarks. Ofcom remains as toothless as ever.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to clarify on this. All companies that are not "financial" must now offer a mobile friendly number (i.e. an 01 or 02 or 03 number) and this must be publicised.

The EU do some things will it appears. Not many but some
Message 7 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

At least the Freephone numbers that were only free if calling from a landline will become free when using your mobile

http://www.ukcalling.info/freephone

Additionally there is this info re 0845 numbers...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-cuts-off-costly-calls

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Given that Adam hasn't been on here for some time I do wonder if the link is it of date?

The info about December 2015 was only a few weeks ago that I read it. ..
Message 9 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Just to clarify on this. All companies that are not "financial" must now offer a mobile friendly number (i.e. an 01 or 02 or 03 number) and this must be publicised.

The EU do some things will it appears. Not many but some

You mean like still allowing networks to charge for roaming? All phone numbers to any large company should be 0800 numbers. Whether you're calling from a mobile or a landline is immaterial. The call should be free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 22