Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number swap??

IftiBashir
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm currently on a Simplicity 12 month tariff. 

I wish to take out a second line - another simplicity 12 month tariff. 

If I do this, can I swap the numbers around on both lines?

i would want my new line to have my old number, and the old line to have the new number. 

Is this possible?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Yes it will be possible. You might have to get hold of a PAYG sim to be the holding ground for one of the numbers but it is possible with a bit if swapping around:)

Your best bet would be to call O2 CS and ask them to do it when you take out the new contract.

@mearns this was not an answer to the thread sssshhhh please:) if you have issues please start a thread in the pay monthly section and I'm sure someone will be along to help out.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Real answer is to go elsewhere.  Give O2 a direct debit mandate and they'll abuse it.  They still owe me £720

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats not a very helpful answer is it

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe not.  Just warning you.  I'm well out of pocket, don't let it happen to you.

Message 4 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Yes it will be possible. You might have to get hold of a PAYG sim to be the holding ground for one of the numbers but it is possible with a bit if swapping around:)

Your best bet would be to call O2 CS and ask them to do it when you take out the new contract.

@mearns this was not an answer to the thread sssshhhh please:) if you have issues please start a thread in the pay monthly section and I'm sure someone will be along to help out.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mearns
This is not constructive. This board is for "Help" on O2 Products and Services, not for voicing your opinion. In future I would advise sending a PM to someone if you want to deviate from their thread topic.

@IftiBashir
Hi,

As Liquid has said above me, contact O2 Customer Care. If you explain exactly what you want to accomplish to them, they will guide you through the best routes to do it. They are very helpful and very friendly, plus they have an extremely good working knowledge of their network. I know having an additional line on O2 is possible, but have not done it myself. However, with some other mobile operators they will ask you to take out another contract if you want another line - I know T-Mobile have done this. Might be worth asking them that before anything is put down in stone..

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not actually correct...
I don't know why, but no company will do a "number swap" even within their own company.
UNLESS you want your contract expired, then sure, they'll do it...

Most people are bad at explaining at what they want, so I'll help everyone out and explain it better.

Lets say you have 3 sim cards...
1 O2 Contract, with a number you LIKE
2. O2 PAYG, number doesn't matter, I'll just say rubbish one.
3. Vodafone Contract, again rubbish number...

So you have 3 sims 3 numbers & 2 contracts, However you don't want to expire any contracts, and you do want to keep that 1 number you do like.

The question is, can we swap the o2 contract number (the liked number) with the o2 pay as you go, without either sim expiring.
So then your contract has the rubbish number.
The pay as you go now has the good number.

This will then allow you to do the usual PAC code method to transfer good number from the PAYG to the Vodafone contract, as a result expiring the payg sim, but it doesn't matter, you never wanted it.

Leaving you with good number on voda contract and bad number on o2 contract, however both contracts still active.

And the answer is no, not one network will do a simple number swap, unless you want the number you want to keep, the old sim card for it expiring, which means goodbye to your contract...

I don't know why they won't number swap, they say its "technically not possible"
Well of course that's nonsense, it might not be possible because of the way they set up their system, however I'm sure the tech is very much available to make it possible about 20 years ago...

It's just swapping a number around, it's not like Samsung making a Felxi OLED screen, oh that's already been done, so I'd say "technically not allowed" rather than technically not possible.

So my question is why?
It's not like by keeping your contract they lose a customer, but by expiring it they would lose a customer. So it's certainly not about money, so it must mean it's some sort of power trip, but still that wouldn't make sense either... So I put it down to stupidity, making restrictions when there shouldn't need to be any in this case...

As for contacting the CS, I've done it 4x in a row tonight, you'd be lucky if they understand a word you're saying, they assume number swap means, trying to port your number over to another network, even though I explained it very clearly what I wanted...

So the answer is NO, you're not gonna be able to get it done, neither am I. So the only way to get it done is for everyone who wants it to keep sending them good old fashioned letters in your red post box... Get some policy changes, and if it really is a technical limitation, well they need to "upgrade their software".

That's all...

Message 7 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'm confused by this message. They were more than happy to swap my numbers around when I took out a second contract ahead of time.
Message 8 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I hear what you are saying, but why would you want to switch your good o2 number to voda?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

What an odd post! slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 13