Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Transfer nightmare!

Helpmeplease101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

2 weeks ago today (a Saturday) my phone and ID was pickpocketed in a shop around 9pm. The next day I informed O2 and they said it would be best to bar the phone number and go into a store to get a new phone and upgrade the contract since I needed it urgently.

I went into a store, they couldn't serve me as I didn't have my ID, so I had to order a new phone on my account over the phone, and in doing so also updated my delivery/account address. It was due to arrive on the Tuesday and to the new address but it didn't pick up my new address. Come Tuesday, I realise that it is is going to the wrong address and go into a store to inform O2. They said they can't stop it so I have to wait for it to be attempted to deliver, returned and then we try again. However I need my phone for my online banking and work so instead decided to take out a new phone contract and transfer over the old number when the order had been returned.

Every single day since then I've contacted O2 to ask for the number to be transferred over and every single time, they say it'll be 24 hours. It is now two weeks later and it still hasn't - they say due to one number being 360 and the other being legacy. As of yesterday (Friday), my temporary phone number is now disconnected, however my new number has not yet been transferred so I am without any phone/data. I went into a store to get a sim card with the number on but they were unable to process this since the number is in the process of being transferred. I then called O2 and they said that it would definitely take place by 6pm this evening. It has not. 

Does it seem likely that the phone number will be with me by Monday 6pm since I have lost my temporary number or is there a scenario in which I could not ever receive my old number?

I have the 14 day cooling off period and I cannot continue with O2 - I have been passed around between departments and no-one is taking responsibility for this so I need to cancel my contract before the 14 days is up. If I cancel it now, what will happen to the old number which is currently in some limbo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Helpmeplease101 

This is a start :-

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I think it is impossible to predict whether 6.00pm on Monday will be met. But given the difficulties O2 seem to be having with transferring numbers, there must be a risk that it won't be met. 

Message 2 of 6

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7121 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you have one you signed up for which is supposed to be being returned to O2, and another which you now have and are waiting for a number transfer. I can see you getting charged for two phones if that is the case.

BTW Transfers don't happen Saturday and Sunday, so Monday at the earliest

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 6

Helpmeplease101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok thanks! Do you know what would happen if I cancelled the contract? Would getting a contract with a different provider and attempting to transfer over the old number to that be even more problematic? 

Message 4 of 6

Helpmeplease101
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I have two O2 contracts:
- 1 rolling SIM only monthy contract with my old number which was stolen. This number I am trying to transfer to;
- My new SIM and phone monthly contract which a temporary number. This number has now been disconnected (as of Friday night) so I am in a limbo without either numbers.

I am being charged for both.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146987 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Helpmeplease101 

As you reported the loss O2 will have put bars on your account that need lifting before any new sim can be activated. 

In reality they should have sent you one out in the post.

Ask them to check for any bars and keep rebooting your phone, just in case the migration kicks in by itself.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 6