Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting excess charges in USA

Whitefish8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I turn my data roaming OFF when I go to the USA and only use WIFI but I always seem to get extra charges. I never understand how this can happen but how can I stop this from happening next time?  HELP.  I know O2 says pay £5 per day for overseas access but this adds up!  

Thank you for your advice and expertise.

Michele

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Whitefish8 Simplest way to do it is to take your O2 sim out of the phone and keep it in a safe place. If you keep your sim in the phone you need to disable mobile data completely, not just data roaming. You can also put your phone into airplane mode and still use WiFi.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Whitefish8 

Turn off data completely, not just roaming and if only using wifi, put phone in airplane mode.

Remember too, that received calls will also trigger the daily charge so airplane mode will prevent that happening too.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Also don't turn phone on or off or flight mode on off as that can cause cost aswel
Message 4 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If you have an iPhone then turning the phone off/on will cause it to re-register for iMessages which have caused charges previously as well!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Plenty of great advice in this thread so far @Whitefish8. Give us a shout if you need any further suggestions or if you have problems with roaming charges again in future. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 6