cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a happy bunny, new contract customer - Data Usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

A week ago my beloved bb of almost 3yrs got spoilt...having heard so much about hidden charges on contract packages.I stick to PAYG and it has worked fine for me.I was a faithful PAYG O2 customer, could use data as I wanted n topped up my regular monthly allowance - not a very heavy data user...I am in the shop to check out my options after my bb spoilt and I was told, there are packages I could switch to on contract having been on PAYG...I chose the Sony Xperia J phone n package, all the usual apps were downloaded for me by the staff and to my shock, 5 days later I got an sms sayin I have used up 80% of my data - 500MB and my next top up is due on the 21st of Dec... (500MB, how?where?when.) I havent downloaded any stuff myself.I have received emails and chatted a bit but thats about it.I made sure whatever was downloaded for me were free apps...I am still trying to get the hang of the phone and all.I went into the shop to complain yesterday and I was told I dont get all the 500MB initially -was surprised to hear that..also got all my notifications switched off.I mentioned to the staff member that I think its better I switch back to PAYG and was told, this contract is much cheaper..I have never experienced such on PAYG and I still have abt a week to decide if I still want this contract or not...Is there any1 in the house who has experienced such and who can offer candid advice?thanks....One more thing,I still dont get the double billing in the same month situation..thanks guys.....

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

To explain a bit more: Your old BlackBerry used a technology called BlackBerry Internet Service which means that all data to and from your phone passed through servers at BlackBerry/RIM. As part of this process all of the data was compressed so your data usage would appear to be alot lower than carrying out the same tasks on say an iPhone or an Android device.

Now you are no longer using a BlackBerry, you no longer have the luxury of a BIS connection and so your data is no longer compressed when using your Experia J. For instance when I moved off of BIS I found my data usage went from around 58Mb a month to over 600Mb a month.

One good thing about the Experia J is that it allows you to keep control of your data usage and actually allows you to set your own limits on it:

To set a data usage limit

1. Make sure that data traffic is turned on.
  2. From the Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  3. Find and tap Settings > Data usage.
  4. Mark the Set mobile data limit checkbox if it’s not marked, then tap OK.
  5. To set the data usage limit, drag the lines to the desired values.

Note: Once your data usage reaches the set limit, data traffic on your phone will be turned off automatically.

To set a start date for the data usage counter

1. From the Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Settings > Data usage.
  3. Tap Data usage cycle, then select a start date.

To view your data usage

1. From the Home screen, tap the Application screen icon
  3. To see the usage amount in a range within a given month, drag the lines.

Tip: In the list, applications are sorted according to how much data traffic they use.

Tip2:Always try and connect to WiFi wherever it is available, particularly when at home so your data uses this connection (hence is essentially free) rather than the mobile network which will count towards your data usage limit of 500Mb

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The phone you have does not compress data in the way the Blackberry did, so you need to check and limit what is using the data.

If you mean that you get two bills a month, this would be an O2 Refresh tariff where the phone and the airtime are charged separately.

The FAQs on Refresh are here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

Firstly,there is no double billing. The first bill comes after a couple of days which is a small billl but included the next months line rental (you pay in advance), then you get billed once every month after that.
Secondly, "Free" apps still use your data to download them and I guess the shop used your data to set up your phone, so that's why your data has been used.
Use WiFi where possible and your data consumption should return to normal levels.
New phones always use more data in the first few days whilst they get themselves syncd with all your accounts etc....

ps. The allowances for the first few days are not full allowances as you are only getting a couple of days worth pro rata.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Very naughty of the shop not to use their WiFi to download the OP's apps, if that was the case.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Maybe they did, who knows, but as the first few days of data is very small it wouldn't take long to use up, esp considering the OP seems to think "Free" apps mean no data consumption too.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

No they didnt...hahaha of cos I know 'free apps' use data.....thanks

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all...appreciate your comments...

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Hope this has helped, but please ask if there are any more questions....?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok would do and thanks....

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

To explain a bit more: Your old BlackBerry used a technology called BlackBerry Internet Service which means that all data to and from your phone passed through servers at BlackBerry/RIM. As part of this process all of the data was compressed so your data usage would appear to be alot lower than carrying out the same tasks on say an iPhone or an Android device.

Now you are no longer using a BlackBerry, you no longer have the luxury of a BIS connection and so your data is no longer compressed when using your Experia J. For instance when I moved off of BIS I found my data usage went from around 58Mb a month to over 600Mb a month.

One good thing about the Experia J is that it allows you to keep control of your data usage and actually allows you to set your own limits on it:

To set a data usage limit

1. Make sure that data traffic is turned on.
  2. From the Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  3. Find and tap Settings > Data usage.
  4. Mark the Set mobile data limit checkbox if it’s not marked, then tap OK.
  5. To set the data usage limit, drag the lines to the desired values.

Note: Once your data usage reaches the set limit, data traffic on your phone will be turned off automatically.

To set a start date for the data usage counter

1. From the Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  3. Tap Data usage cycle, then select a start date.

To view your data usage

1. From the Home screen, tap the Application screen icon
  3. To see the usage amount in a range within a given month, drag the lines.

Tip: In the list, applications are sorted according to how much data traffic they use.

Tip2:Always try and connect to WiFi wherever it is available, particularly when at home so your data uses this connection (hence is essentially free) rather than the mobile network which will count towards your data usage limit of 500Mb

Message 10 of 10