cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non monthly pay as you go - where did it go?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been living in Portugal, visiting UK and working in Oman and I had three PAYG SIM cards. I kept the cards topped up with credit and used whichever I needed. I have often been away from UK for months, but still had credit on the O2 card. I got to UK last month and my O2 SIM card had died. No problem, I'll get another - or not!

I got a new card at a phone shop - after explaining exactly what I wanted and put on £10 credit. The credit changed to £0 and I found that I had a 'bundle' of credited time and texts. I did not use the phone at all and after a month I lost the credit - money, time and text.

Since then I have been trying to get to a simple PAYG tariff. Add credit - use it per call when I like - it does NOT expire. I can buy this type of card in the post office in Portugal, but in UK it is as if the existence of this type of card has been erased from everyone's memory. I get blank looks and told that there is no problem with topping up when I like, but it will only last for 30 days, or I must pay a minimum every month, use it or not.

That is NOT pay as you go. That is pay monthly. Does PAYG exist anymore in UK?

Message 1 of 55
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry but basic payg tariffs no longer exist with O2. These are the ones available to you now

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Edited to add...you can get basic PAYG tariffs from GiffGaff I believe...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry but basic payg tariffs no longer exist with O2. These are the ones available to you now

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Edited to add...you can get basic PAYG tariffs from GiffGaff I believe...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

That form of PAYG no longer exists with O2 - the PAYG tariffs now are basically pay monthly without the credit check!

Message 3 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guessed as much. Goodbye O2.

Message 4 of 55

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can actually get the "big talker" tariff which will do what you want.
To switch to it , text BIGTALK to 21300 free from your O2 phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
Website says that Bigtalker credit is valid for one calendar month and then it resets - to zero! Basically the PAYG tariff has been changed to reset to zero each month to get more money out of users.
Message 6 of 55

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Website says that Bigtalker credit is valid for one calendar month and then it resets - to zero! Basically the PAYG tariff has been changed to reset to zero each month to get more money out of users.

Not true for big talker tariff.

You get allowances depending on how much you top up which are valid for a month but your top up credit remains for you to use until used up.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Not true for big talker tariff.

You get allowances depending on how much you top up which are valid for a month but your top up credit remains for you to use until used up.

Must say that isn't clear anywhere in the links I provided @MI5. I am not arguing with you....just saying I couldn't find that info.....?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 55

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

The Big Bundle tariff says "we'll exchange your credit for allowances".
The Big Talker tariff says "on top of your credit we will give you"......

Currently using:
Message 10 of 55