Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi on the London Underground Tube following switch to eSim

rsg444
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently joined O2, everything was working fine, I automatically connected to the O2 wifi hotspots and O2 Wifi Extra on the London Underground, then I done a sim swap and basically moved from a physical sim to an eSim. Once my services returned, I found I could no longer join the O2 wifi hotspots or O2 Wifi Extra.

I deleted my online wireless profile, then went to a hotspot and registered myself, I can now connect to the O2 Wifi Hotspots but I cannot connect to Wifi Extra or even the Virgin Media network.

I've tried everything, restarting my phone, Network Settings Reset, Deleting account and re registering, click on "Not You" and re registering, turning wifi on and off. O2 Gurus and Chat can't seem to figure out why not.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Sorry to hear that you're still having issues with this one @rsg444. If you want I can ask the team to investigate this and hopefully we can get to the cause of the issue and get a solution. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 21

rsg444
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Martin,

Many thanks - if you could that'd be great. The engineers are still looking but the don't seem to understand the issue at hand - one of them didn't even know what an eSim was. They don't seem to realise that I can't access Wifi Extra, whether that is underground or in a shopping centre - I am simply not allowed on the network. Others who have switched to an eSim are also facing the same issue.

Message 12 of 21

rsg444
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 still can't figure it out and quite frankly the way this incident has been handled is appalling. If I were to handle my client requests in this way I'd have been on a disciplinary. If O2 can't figure it out then they should say so - at least then I know that once my contract is up I should just move to someone else. But the way it's been handled is so poor I regret switching to O2. No continuity, staff not even understaning the issue at hand, not calling back as promised. What a disappointment.

Basically fellow O2 customers, if you use the London Underground, then DO NOT get an eSim as you WILL NOT be able to use the Tube Wifi and if you ask for assistance they'll keep on thinking that you can't connect to O2 Wifi and tell you to go to your local McDonald's and re register for Wifi there. If only it was that simple. BTW, I've been asked to do this 6 times now - then I was told - Oh just use Virgin then. Best one was "What's Wifi Extra" and "I'm not sure about eSims, what is it?" - these are from their technical experts.

Message 13 of 21

Hx
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same issue here - just swap to esim 3 weeks ago and could not connect to wifi extra since!!

If you could keep us posted that would be great! I am now thinking whether I should swap back to a sim card to solve this.

Message 14 of 21

KnightGrey
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes I’m using an eSim
Message 15 of 21

Qba
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
WiFi extra is a joke
Message 16 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Qba wrote:
WiFi extra is a joke

Spamming this forum won't fix your issue.

If you would like to make just 1 sensible post with all relevant details regarding the issue, we can try and get someone to look at the problem for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 21

iwanttubewifi
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been having the same problems as these posters.

I signed up to O2 during the pandemic and wasn't travelling by Tube much - on the rare occasions I was, I couldn't get connected to Wifi no matter what I tried. I got the message "Sorry, we've encountered an error and you have not been signed in" or "Sorry, we're having a few problems at the moment. We're working on it, so have another go later".

Then a few months ago it started working and it was absolutely wonderful. 

Now it's stopped working again as of a few weeks ago and I get the message "To use Wifi on the Underground you need to be on O2 and regsitered with O2 Wifi. We'll send you a text with more info on how".

I am registered with O2 Wifi and in any case I never get a text.

Even with the esim being the only active sim in the phone it refuses to connect or to believe that I am an eligible customer.

Message 18 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10141 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@iwanttubewifi 

I would reset your expectations on Virgins very poor Tube Wifi, and the fact it doesn't work 99% of the time for customers across all networks hence Vodafone pulled it from there customers. 

I have esims and on the odd occasion i go to London it does work, just not very often., and I have a feeling its down to VM's Radius or Authentication Database, which probably hasnt been updated in yonks..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 19 of 21

gedl
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I have recently changed to eSim as well, and am too unable to connect to Virgin Extra in the underground.

@Martin-O2 you seen to be in charge around here, what are the steps to resolve this issue ?

Message 20 of 21