Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

No service available, no O2 icon displayed & no signal bars.

Any help appreciated folks.
Have been with O2 for years. My friend recently gave me their Samsung S-3650. I placed my sim in but it requested an unlocking code. I got it unlocked then placed my sim in again and it worked fine but only for about a day.
There are no signal bars displayed and the O2 icon which was there initially has gone. If, for example, I try to send a text it displays service unavailable.
I contacted O2 who emailed me the application settings for Pay & Go but after inputing this still no success. I contacted O2 again and they asked me to try a manual network search but the phone responded with search failed. The operator then advised to get a replacement sim from a O2 store as my original sim was 9 years old and may not be compatible with the Samsung.
Replacement sim collected, put into phone, advised to wait upto 24hrs but still no joy. Still no signal bars, no icon and service unavailable if I try anything.
If I place this new sim back in my old phone it works ok.
Help!!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: No service available, no O2 icon displayed & no signal b

I can think of a couple of possibilities. Faulty phone or a phone which is blocked. I would ask your friend or call O2 and explain you've had the SIM changed. Ask if they can check if its been blocked or if they can give you Samsung's details for a repair.
( I can actually think of a third option but it has implications. How was the phone unlocked? If you don't know what you are doing then its possible to erase a Samsung handsets IMEI. This means the handset will be rejected eventually and will never work on any network. Samsung may be able to restore the IMEI but will charge for it. )
Anonymous

Many thanks for the reply.
Paid £10 to have phone unlocked at side street independent. As i say worked fine initially, could make and receive calls and texts.
My friend used it for a year with Vodafone until her upgrade. As you say, might have made a mess of the unlocking.
Thanks again.
Anonymous

Hopefully its something straightforward. Good luck with it.
Anonymous

Just a small update.
I took my partners Orange sim and the phone recognised it (Orange logo appeared and worked in terms of sending/receiving).
Maybe it would stop working after a day or so, who knows?
I'm confused!!
Anonymous

If you type in *#06# then the phone will tell you the IMEI , you can compare this with the packaging or give it to O2 who can tell if its valid.
You could wait a few days and see if its rejected by the Orange network.
I still think its worthwhile getting the phone looked at.
Must be puzzling for you and quite frustrating.