Did you mean: 

No service after port

cablecrave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I got a new o2 SIM only contract a few weeks ago. Up until this week, everything was working well on the "new" number, and I was waiting to use up the credit on my old EE SIM before porting the number. Just to confirm, all working fine on the temporary number.

Number port request submitted Sunday 20/02/22. I understand that this means that the port request would not take effect until Monday 21/02/22 - the next working day. No issue there.

Tuesday 22/02/22 - around 11am, porting begins. By 6PM the situation was:

- Inbound calls from any network go to my o2 voicemail, showing that the incoming call routing part of the port has completed successfully.

- My old EE SIM has stopped working - showing that their side of the port has been done.

- The number showing in 'My o2', both on the app and website has changed from the temporary number to my ported number - showing that at least part of the o2 side of the process also seems to have completed.

The only thing that has not come back is the service on my "new" (previously working on the temporary number) SIM. Rebooted many many times, and continue to do so. Other SIMs work fine in my phone. Tested in multiple locations up and down the country (as I travel between the north and south of the country with work).

It looks as though one of the last steps of the port, which I understand is to associate the updated account (after all the porting) with my current SIM, has not happened.

For completeness, I migrated to an ESIM within the first few days of the contract, and this has been working fine. I've also tried my existing plastic SIM in another phone, just in case the number has been somehow allocated back to that, and no service on that either. I've also tried removing and re-adding the ESIM (I kept the QR code), also no joy.

Called o2 yesterday (from my work phone) and basically got fobbed off, saying to call back tomorrow as it sometimes takes 48 hours.

Called back today and they tried to raise a 'no signal in the area' form, which of course is not what I need. I insisted that they raise this to the porting team, as something has clearly been missed there. Eventually the agent agreed to do that, but it seemed as though they just "gave in" to get me off the phone, and told me what I wanted to hear.

I understand that this is a community forum, but hopefully you can see that I don't need any "troubleshooting" assistance here, but do need o2 staff to look into this, so if someone could please tag an o2 staff member who could help, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Jon

Message 1 of 62
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @cablecrave I will send you a private message so can look into this for you .

signature

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@megjess or @O2Emma should be around this afternoon.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 62

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @MI5  I will pick this up thanks .

signature
Message 3 of 62

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @cablecrave I will send you a private message so can look into this for you .

signature
Message 4 of 62

megjess
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5  thank you for the tagg

@cablecrave  Hi I will  private messaged you so I can get problem resolved  

megjess
Message 5 of 62

cablecrave
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks to the wonderful help of @O2Emma this is now resolved. For some reason, after the port, the ESIM wasn't linked to my account anymore, and therefore wasn't working. Despite the fact that the ESIM was working fine on my account before the port. As a temporary workaround we've re-activated the plastic SIM, and this restored service immediately.

I do want to move back to an ESIM so I can have my work SIM in the phone, so will try this at some point (next week, once things have settled down). I'll report back for future reference.

So thanks again Emma, and thanks to @MI5 for the speedy tag in the first place.

Message 6 of 62

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Pleased it's sorted @cablecrave 👍

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 62

cablecrave
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And finally, to close this off, Emma kindly arranged for a new ESIM pack to be sent out. I left it for the weekend and this morning did a SIM swap to the new ESIM. This worked fine and was all done within around 20 mins. 

I wasn’t brave enough to try swapping back to the existing original ESIM, so can’t report back on that I’m afraid. 

Hope this helps anyone who finds this in the future. 

Jon

Message 8 of 62

brog_05
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I believe I am having the same issue as this and having a similar experience when calling customer services. I was told earlier my port would definitely have completed by 6PM this evening. This has not happened and I have now gone for over 24 hours with no service. 

Are you able to help me as you were able to help the original poster please?

Brogan

Message 9 of 62

VOWLESEY
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All. 

I’m having the exact same issue as cablecrave.   

Lost service on old and new sims yesterday at 11am. A few hours later my new sim started working again which was great as I was told this could take up until 6pm to complete. Received a call on it too so was definitely completed. My account was updated with the number I wanted to keep and the number even updated itself in the phone settings. 

2 hours later “no service” displayed and haven’t been able to use it since. Rebooted my phone multiple times and hasn’t fixed it. 

I’ve had this new contract for a week now and have already found myself having to contact customer service 3 or 4 times. I never had to contact my previous provider in over 3 years. This isn’t helped as I find getting hold of o2 next to impossible. 

Im within my 14 day cooling off and I’m considering using it to leave an move to a different provider. To not be able to use your service after a week of paying for it isn’t great. 

Thanks 

Message 10 of 62