Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No notification of new voicemail

DrB
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a secondary line on my iPhone 11 via an e-sim O2 monthly contract. This is a new account.

Everything works OK except I am not getting notifications for new voicemail.
Otherwise voicemail works OK, it is just the notifications that don't work.

I'm not too worried about visual voicemail, I would be happy with an SMS.
Can someone help me?

I'm not sure if this is important but if I dial 901 then * then 4, there is no option 1 to set notification type as a lot of instructions suggests there should be.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DrB
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@EmilieT  Thank you for the offer but my idea of removing the "iPhone bolton" has worked for me

Once the bolton is removed then I could *41 at the voicemail menu and set SMS notification.

O2's iPhone bolton is to enable Visual Voicemail and I don't think Visual Voicemail will not work correctly on a "secondary line" in a dual sim setup.

This is just my theory but in support I would quote https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044 which says

"2. If data roaming is on for the number that uses cellular data, then Visual Voicemail and MMS will be disabled on your voice-only number."

and the secondary line is a effectively a voice only number

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@DrB 

All we know about voicemail here Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 but this is before the introduction of esim.

As esim appears to cause other issues too, I would log the fault with customer service for investigation Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @DrB, as suggested above, have you talked to Customer Services about this? If so, what did they say?

Let us know how you get on please, and welcome to the community slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 7

DrB
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT and thanks for the response.

I have contacted Customer Services 3 times so far. 2 live chats and 1 call to 202

1) During the first livechat, the operator said they "updated the bolton"? It would take 24 hours to take effect.

2) The second livechat conceeded they could not find any problem with my account and said I should go to an O2 store.

3) The call to 202, the operator said this was caused by "WiFi and 4G calling" and he removed it. He insisted an e-sim was no different to a physical sim and there were no issues with e-sims. Again wait 24 hours.

The fact that changes can take 24 hours to provision makes things hard.

I am also trying to find other iPhone users with e-sim or dual sim on O2. I can't be the only one.

I will be caling them again in the next hour. If they can not suggest anything better then I will ask them to remove the iPhone bolton (which provisions visual voicemail), I reason this will obviously make a change to voicemail.

Message 4 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@DrB If you're still waiting for an answer on those questions and issues, I could try and get one of our gurus on the case if you'd like? Let me know how things have progressed since we last spoke and we'll take it from there slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 5 of 7

DrB
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@EmilieT  Thank you for the offer but my idea of removing the "iPhone bolton" has worked for me

Once the bolton is removed then I could *41 at the voicemail menu and set SMS notification.

O2's iPhone bolton is to enable Visual Voicemail and I don't think Visual Voicemail will not work correctly on a "secondary line" in a dual sim setup.

This is just my theory but in support I would quote https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044 which says

"2. If data roaming is on for the number that uses cellular data, then Visual Voicemail and MMS will be disabled on your voice-only number."

Message 6 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@DrB wrote:

@DrB Good to hear it's working now, and thanks for sharing all these updated and info! slight_smile

signature

Message 7 of 7