Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cellular data in Puerto Rico

Poptasticuk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi! I'm currently travelling and have had 3G and 4G working fine throughout my trip to the US so far, but since I got to Puerto Rico I've not had signal for data at all (the phone signal has been normal and I can see I'm on T-mobile network in the top left). The 3G or 4G symbol has not been present at all since I got here.

I'm on the Inclusive Zone bolt-on which includes the US (Puerto Rico is a US territory) so it shouldn't be an issue with it being outside my zone. Either way, I haven't had any texts saying I'm outside my zone, or any texts from O2 whatsoever since getting here. I don't think the issue can be my roaming settings because I haven't changed them and data was working fine yesterday morning when I was in New York.

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Poptasticuk 

Try manually searching for a different network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10171 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Poptasticuk 

Try one of the alternative Puerto Rican Networks. 

Also Puerto Rico, is not a state so technically part of the USA, in the same way  the Falklands Islands are part of the UK but roaming isn't included.

And it  isn't included as part of the o2 inclusive zone, so you will be paying

From Rest of World

Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 9

Poptasticuk
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the advice. I went to mobile data settings and manually tried all of the networks available. None of them worked (couldn't get phone signal let alone data) so I turned automatic back on. Strangely doing this led to me getting 3G access, which worked well enough to load a web page within a few seconds, but then after a minute it was gone again! Do you have any suggestions?

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Poptasticuk 

Sounds like the local network blocking your access.

Possible due to no roaming agreement, a technical issue or a mast fault.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Poptasticuk
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can O2 actually charge me those huge prices without notifying me that I've gone out of the roaming zone? Even the very small usage I've been able to achieve could have cost me a lot at £7.50 per mb! I have had no texts or other contact from O2. This seems very dodgy since my tariff says I have coverage in the US and I'm in the US, so there's no way I would have known.

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Poptasticuk 

You may still be connected to a US network so you won't be charged.

You will get a notification when connecting to another network that charges differently.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Poptasticuk 

It looks like T Mobile, Sprint and AT&T are classed as US providers.

The only local provider on Puerto Rico is Viya

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Poptasticuk
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll turn off mobile data for now to be safe, since it's not working anyway.

Message 9 of 9