cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Retention Deal for long-standing Customer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
My mum has been with O2 since its very beginning as BT Cellnet and was on a SIM-Only deal for 12 and half of those years.

She took an upgrade in 2008 for the Samsung G800 where they awarded her a £10 discount per month for the entire contract, this is the first time any retention deal had been accepted on this account.

Now, my mum is wanting to upgrade to the SE W995 which is admittedly a brand new phone which O2 aren't so able to discount.

The problem is, Orange are able to offer 600 mins and Unlim texts, with the free phone for £25/month, whilst O2 will only offer the same deal for £35/month.

This means, even after 14 years of spending at least £25 every month, O2 cant stretch to lower the tariff.

Any ideas how I might be able to get this sorted for my mum so she'll be able to stay with O2 and get the same deal as Orange offer?

Thank you.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
By looking at the orange website this is a 24 month tariff which you need to take out online otherwise instore it's £30.

The £35 o2 deal is for 18 months and if also bought online / taken through retentions will give 600 mins, 1000 sms and 1 bolt on (unlimited weekend calls/landline calls/internet/o2 to o2 calls/texts or an extra 200 anytime mins)

Orange will also charge you 12p a min for voicemail which on o2 is free and 30p a picture message whereas o2 take 4 sms from your inclusive allowance.

You'll also be stuck with orange customer service which in my experience is dire, I was passed to THIRTEEN different people once...to get a pac code!

If I were you I'd stick with o2.
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 staff no are no longer able to offer discounts and retentions. Seems that o2 just want to get rid of all non iphone and up coming palm pre customers.
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 staff no are no longer able to offer discounts and retentions. Seems that o2 just want to get rid of all non iphone and up coming palm pre customers.

Presumably they've done enough research to conclude that losing a couple of customers a month, and keeping many who simply are too lazy to move, is more profitable than giving every single renewing customer £10 / month off.

You don't have a divine right to a retention deal, if you don't like it, you are welcome to move company... and if you don't move, then it shows O2 were right (commercially) to not offer you a deal.
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
😐 I've had to go to the 20 simplicity plan saving me 15 quid a month giving o2 a couple of months b4 i move to vodafone
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, exactly the same thing has happened to me.

Absolutely no budging on any retention deals... so off to Orange. I've worked out I'll save over £300 over the length of my new contract - £100 on handset cost and around £15 line rental monthly.

Seems like madness. The breadth of their Nokia range and the flexibility on deals has taken a massive hit since the coming of the iphone.

Maybe in a few months time they'll realise that some people don't have an iphone out of *choice*!
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
The O2 retentions dept told me to upgrade through the Carphone warehouse to get the best deal (£25 / month with 600 mins and unlimited texts).
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you give me more details on this? Ive been with O2 years, just called to upgrade handet and change tariff, went up to the £35 contract, 600 min, 1000 txts plus unlimited texts. Interested to hear I might get this for less somehow tho... Thanks for any further info you can give. slight_smile
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well ive got a post over at money saving expert forum and in last day 14 people have left o2 because of retentions. Now I work out that is a big slap for o2, say each customer is spending just £20 per month on a 18 month contract, now that's £5040! lost. Search "o2 retentions - We want your support" in google.
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well ive got a post over at money saving expert forum and in last day 14 people have left o2 because of retentions. Now I work out that is a big slap for o2, say each customer is spending just £20 per month on a 18 month contract, now that's £5040! lost. Search "o2 retentions - We want your support" in google.

I'll try to cut down on my spending with O2 if I can as I'm really disappointed with their customer service but I could not do so as I am on the Iphone tariff. Replies such as 'O2 is not going to help because it is not financially viable' is not going to go down well with customers, don't you think so?
Message 10 of 18