Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data in Busy Areas

Burnzie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
For a while now, in busy areas (especially weekends) I have a full 4G signal but can’t use data and I’ve put this down to the amount of people all using the same bandwidth but now I’ve got to the point where I’ve designed myself to the fact that my “Smart Phone” is just a phone in these places.

I’ve reported this several times to O2 and I’m sick of the same answer that they aren’t aware of any issues in the area but they are working on increasing reception.

My contract which I’ve had with O2 for over 16 years comes to an end in November and I’m seriously considering going to another network provider but In a recently visited O2 shop they insist all other providers have the same issue.

So my question to you guys is:

Are you struggling with the same issue and what do you do to combat the no data.

Anyone with other experiences with other network provers?

Sorry for the long winded post.

All the Best

Andy
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, it's common in many places.
I sometimes find that switching to 3g helps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, it's common in many places.
I sometimes find that switching to 3g helps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Burnzie 

As you've found, signal strength doesn't mean anything really (though hight attenuation which is really what is being measured)leads to slow throughput because of the need to retransmit corrupted data frames) as even if you have clear line of sight to a cell it can be heavily loaded either on the radio (air interface) or the traffic might be exceeding the capacity of the backhaul which, in built up areas is likely to be a fibre leased line of varying capacity or possibly more than one aggregated to form a 'trunk' (microwave tends to be used where there is line of sight between network elements).

Operators will invest where they know what they are likely to make from the traffic will exceed the rent, power and leased line costs or where they know ofcom and others run tests such as motorways, motorway services, business parks and yes built up areas but there are only so many transmitters that you can put up in an area (or for which planning will be given) so all of the operators do struggle with this issue as when it comes down to it they are all deploying the same technology.

Message 3 of 6

Burnzie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies although the tech speak on the last one gave me a nose bleed but I understand what you were saying (I think😉)

I’m going to give the “use 3G” at the weekend to see if that helps as it’s one thing I’ve never even thought of trying.

Thanks again for the responses and have a great weekend.
Message 4 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
A good way to think of this is traffic on a road.
A 4G connection is a motorway: can offer good speed, but can slow down if there are too many people on it.
A 3G connection is a A road: it might not be as fast as a motorway in theory, but as more people use motorways and there is less traffic on them it might be possible to get there quicker!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Burnzie 

Still giggling at the 'nose bleed comment'. joy

@gmarkj  did give an excellent analogy though wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket