Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexgen Ltd

TrishaA
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm victim of a scam, Nexgen Ltd have billed me through my phone bill 8 X £4.50 for games I haven't had or signed up for, never imagined a company could just bill you for a service or good you'd not ordered or accessed. Even more shocked this could be done via my phone bill. O2 told me to text STOP to 64055 and email contact@nexgenmobi.com to try and retrieve my money. 

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@TrishaA community help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s... and here https://payforitsucks.co.uk/ 

O2 petition here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Premium-rate-services-petition-to-O2/td-p/118...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@TrishaA community help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s... and here https://payforitsucks.co.uk/ 

O2 petition here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Premium-rate-services-petition-to-O2/td-p/118...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@TrishaA

You can also contact customer services https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus and ask for the following bars to be put on your account

• Bar all Direct to Bill Debits
  • Premium Bar (calls to premium numbers, 090, 070 etc.

This will avoid this this sort of thing happening again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 33

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hello @TrishaA
I'm quite a new member, luckily I joined the community and read posts about this unacceptable situation that should be stopped, not only by the service provider but by law. Put the bars on asap and try to get your money back. Best of luck.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 33

TrishaA
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, I've taken all the advice offered to no avail. O2 would only putting precautions in place so it doesn't happen again and no refund. Nexgen haven't replied to the email address O2 suggested. Seriously thinking of looking for another phone provider, now I know this can happen it will be my first question to new supply. I'm disappointed with O2 to allow this fraud to happen. I'd like to know how Nextgen got my phone number as I don't give it out. Only close friends and family have my number. I hope there hasn't been a breach of data protection.
Message 5 of 33

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@TrishaA your number is skimmed off your sim whilst browsing on mobile data.

I would call back again and demand that O2 refund you as we know they take 30% of the proceeds from these scams!!

Currently using:
Message 6 of 33

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@TrishaA

It might be worth reminding O2 of their obligations under the Payforit rules. Screenshot 20**Personal info** 10.15.05.png

and of the fine wordson their website

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 16.10.12.png

A failure to meet these obligations could be used as the basis of a formal complaint, which could ultimately go to the ombudsman if not resolved.

You ask how your number was obtained. When you access the internet using mobile data (as opposed to WiFi) and you visit the websites of certain "trusted partners" O2 will provide your phone number to the "partner" via the Payforit API. A full explanation of how Payforit works is here. You can prevent your number from being leaked by the Payforit API, either by using WiFi or by using a VPN.

There is an argument tht the way in which O2 are leaking your number could be a breach of the GDPR.

More information on this, together with a template letter of complaint here.

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 7 of 33

TrishaA
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't even use my phone from browsing, the screens too small for me to see properly on my iphone, only use it for texting. I alerted my bank when I received the initial text thinking the payment would come out of my bank account or credit card, they assured me once the money was taken they would take action and refound me. Unlike o2, I never thought it was possible to charge to my phone. I'm a pensioner on low income and this has caused me alot of stress plus financial loss I could do without. I will continue to fight even if out of principal and now knowing O2 get 30%. Thank you for your help and support, I will keep you updated of the outcome.

Message 8 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@TrishaA

Yes please keep us updated. I can well imagine how much stress this has caused you.

Some great advice above from @Payforit_Sucks.

Hope it soon gets sorted. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 33

TrevorMatthews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just had exactly the same problem.

Two charges of £4.50 taken without permission.

O2 have now blocked all premium services on my 3 accounts.

I have reported this to the PSA as mentioned on this forum.

Also ActionFraud should be notified.

I also emailed nexgen and was told this was a legitimate charge and I would not be getting a refund.

I have asked for their address so legal proceedings can be taken against them.

I haven't heard back.

I will get the info from the other links on the forum.

O2 have given me £9 as a gesture of goodwill.

It started at £5 and then went up to £10 but I told them I simply want the £9 back.

Message 10 of 33