Did you mean: 

New sim won't allow me to make or receive calls

eamonnd1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I got a new tablet (galaxy tab s7 plus 5g) in December (3 months ago) and it came with a 5g sim.

I didn't use the sim as I already had 4g sim in my phone (galaxy s10 plus) which doesn't support 5g.

Yesterday my 4g was being a bit slow and I'm waiting on new broadband being setup, so I got the 5g sim out, popped it into my tablet, and activated it online. Sure enough my 4g sim, in my phone, stopped and the 5g sim, in my tablet, started working.

The 5g sim was working well but I had to leave the house, so I put it into my phone and it was still working fine (my 4g data was working and I was sending and receiving texts) so I threw out the 4g sim.

It wasn't until later when my wife text me saying she was trying to call me that I found out it wasn't letting me make or receive calls.

I've tried everything I can think of, reset my phone, toggled airplane mode on/off etc.

I tried putting the sim back into my tablet and the same issue happens, which makes me think it's the sim. 

Also the software on both devices is up to date.

Do I need to ask for a new sim or is there something silly I need to do, that I just overlooked?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123295 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@eamonnd1 

I'll ask one of our account advisors @O2Lisa  to see if she can help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144867 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@eamonnd1 

Tablet sim cards are data and texts only, you cannot make calls on them.

You have transferred your phone sim to a tablet sim now, so you'll need a new phone sim only plan.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=Featured

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Hi @Cleoriff thanks for the tag smiling

I'll message you privately @eamonnd1 and look in to this for you

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4