Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

New resident + paymonthly sim only

Hello,
I just moved to the UK from Spain. I currently have a PAYG three sim card that I use with my iPhone but the coverage and network speed is far from what I expected.
I have checked and the best tariff for me would be the pay monthly simplicity plan with the 1gb data bolt on.
I'm not interested in getting subsidised phones since I have an unlocked iphone and plan to get my next phone unlocked as well.
Would it be hard for me to get a pay monthly plan (the 1 month contract, not the cheaper 12 month one) considering I just moved to the UK? I still don't have a UK credit card - my bank manager said I could request it within a few months.
thanks!!
Highlighted
Topics: 24
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: New resident + paymonthly sim only

Basically you're right in thinking it will be harder for you being a non-resident of the UK for the last few years. Note that its not your nationality but the fact you have no credit history in the UK and obviously not on the electoral roll for starters.
Unfortunately that will take time to get a good history and may take years to build up. A credit card is a good start but as you can see, even the banks expect you to prove yourself for a while.
At the moment, you could get the 30 day plan but you also may be asked to leave a deposit in the region of £150 upwards. Whilst it may seem a large amount, it will work in your favour later on when you want to apply for credit so in my opinion, a worthwhile outlay. Providing you do keep up payments! You will get the money back though.
Alternatively, you could try another provider who's credit checks are less stringent than o2 i.e. 3! Be very aware that the more attempts to apply for credit in a short space of time, the more likely it will be flagged as fraud and an auto-rejection.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for the message!
Paying a deposit is alright. On average, how long does it take for the deposit to be lifted?
I've lived in Ireland in the early 2000s so the credit history and the electoral roll situation is quite similar.
I think what banks and phone companies are worried is not about a lack of credit history (it's a phone after all, not a mortgate), but the high possibility of you leaving the country for good leaving unpaid charges. I guess showing a 5-year work contract would help in this regard Smiley Wink
Highlighted

About 3 months for a return of deposit though do ask for how you want it returned otherwise it will be either credit on your account or they might forget!
Actually, it is about credit risk though you are right - the chances of a non-UK resident just leaving is more likely in their minds! Especially in this economic climate as it is getting harder to get than it was 10 years ago.
I would suggest however, you try instore rather than online armed with all your details. Chances are that if you got so far online, you will be asked to send your info to them as proof whereas instore they can do it there and then (not saying its automatic but less hassle).
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just to correct SD there, if you're taking out a simplicity then you don't pay a deposit (unless taking through a 3rd party), it will just go on a restriction that it cannot be upgraded for 6 months.
Highlighted

I like using words like "may" and "possibly" just in case Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just to correct SD there, if you're taking out a simplicity then you don't pay a deposit (unless taking through a 3rd party), it will just go on a restriction that it cannot be upgraded for 6 months.

thanks! such restriction would mean no upgrade to what? like if I want to change from simplicity to a different contract?
Highlighted
Anonymous

thanks! such restriction would mean no upgrade to what? like if I want to change from simplicity to a different contract?

It means an upgrade to a handset contract.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi, I'm just recovering this. Have the credit checks changed recently?
A friend of mine tried to get a 1-month pay monthly simplicity plan and was declined due to lack of credit history.
She was in the same situation, recently moved to the UK and with a work contract for the next 3 years.
she was declined altogether, without the option to pay a deposit.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Too be honest whether or not you have a work contract isn't taken into account.
The credit requirement for a simplicity is fairly low, because if you don't pay your bill you can just be disconnected without much of a loss i.e. you weren't covering the cost of an expensive handset.
What does matter is having a credit file and the easiest way to get one is to open up a UK bank account. Ensure it's registered at the same address that you're going to register the mobile phone contract to.
Secondly you'll need to get yourself on the local electoral role. Most local councils have a form on their website you can print off and mail in. Now, the only problem is that in some cases, the electoral roll isn't regularly updated, so you may have to wait weeks or even a few months until this next happens. Again, enquiring at your local council will answer how often their roll is updated.