Did you mean: 

New phone with same SIM only deal

Jamesw13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

First time using this, normally I'd ring O2 but they have limited staff due to coronavirus so I thought I'd give this a try!

I currently have a 12 month SIM only deal which I'm able to upgrade but only being 6ish months in I'm happy to just continue. This was a SIM only deal I took up at the end of my 2 year contract as I now own the phone outright. I've now cracked the screen and it's time for a new handset. What I'm hoping to do is to buy a new phone outright but still be able to use this sim only deal with the new phone? Normally I'd assume this would be completely fine but my new phone will be 5g (Google Pixel 5 if it's of any interest/makes any difference). I've read that I may need to have a different SIM to use 5g but that O2 don't charge more for 5g contracts and that all are in fact 5g. Does anyone have any experience of this? Will O2 just send me a 5g sim to put into my new handset and continue on my 12 month contract with?

Thanks in advance,
James
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

@Jamesw13 

You would need to buy the phone outright to remain on the same sim only deal.

If you upgrade to the phone on refresh, you will need to choose a different tariff.

To get a 5g sim you just need to call into your local o2 store and they will swap it for free and you keep your same number and tariff.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

@Jamesw13 

You would need to buy the phone outright to remain on the same sim only deal.

If you upgrade to the phone on refresh, you will need to choose a different tariff.

To get a 5g sim you just need to call into your local o2 store and they will swap it for free and you keep your same number and tariff.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Jamesw13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
You're most welcome slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4