Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone help

Jodie43
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have got my new phone today. It is 5g. I've received a new SIM card. I've switched my tariff to 5gb data from 15gb. I'm wanting to keep my old number. My current SIM has lots of data left. Do I put the new SIM in my new phone or the old sim? Will the new SIM know that I have data left?
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jodie43 

You can use your old sim in the new phone, or if you want to get 5g (and are able to), do a sim swap from your old sim to activate the new one Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jodie43 

You can use your old sim in the new phone, or if you want to get 5g (and are able to), do a sim swap from your old sim to activate the new one Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you have a new phone and new tariff then your data won't roll over

Your new tariff will start almost immediately whichever sim you use

If you are in a 5G area and you have a 5G phone then do the sim swap, otherwise carry on with your present sim

Message 3 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Jodie43 You can check to see if 5G is available in your area here: O2 Network Coverage Checker | 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G Coverage

If it isn't, there's no great rush to swap your sim. Your old sim will work.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 4