Did you mean: 

New o2 contract with Carphone Warehouse - keeping same number

smish
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,
I hope this hasn't been asked loads of times but I couldn't find much on search.

Carphone Warehouse/Mobiles.co.uk have some good deals for the iPhone 6, but only under "New Contract". The "Upgrade" deals aren't as good. I'm on a 30 day SIM only deal direct with o2 at the moment. Is there any way of transferring my number to a new contract with Carphone Warehouse?
I know it's obviously possible via the "Upgrade" option, but has anyone managed it with a new contract?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance for any advice. slight_smile

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Get new contract then Call customer services on 202 and...
1. If it's still with O2, ask them to act a "keep my number" by closing the old account and putting the number on the new account.
2. If with another provider, ask for your PAC and when given it, give it to your new provider to port the number over to them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Get new contract then Call customer services on 202 and...
1. If it's still with O2, ask them to act a "keep my number" by closing the old account and putting the number on the new account.
2. If with another provider, ask for your PAC and when given it, give it to your new provider to port the number over to them.
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As viridis says above but be aware you will have 2 contracts to pay for the first month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You also need to consider whether you want the option to upgrade or pay off the handset at any time. You get that with Refresh from O2 but with CPW you are tied into a 2 year contract.

Message 4 of 9

smish
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks guys, you're all very helpful. So you think there should be no problem getting o2 to do that?

The Mobiles.co.uk site says: "You cannot currently port your number if you are remaining on the same network. If you wish to keep your number and stay on your current network you need to choose one of our Upgrade deals".

Do you think that's just them saying they can't personally do it? If I can ring o2 and get them to do it afterwards then that's fine. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As you have been told above, you can do it, but you must maintain the contract you wish to keep the number from so will have to pay for 2 contracts in one month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

smish
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much for all your help slight_smile

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All the best to you mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions