cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPhone 12 from Apple on existing unlimited tariff - will 5G work?

YaBoi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an in-contract unlimited data tariff and have purchased a 12 mini to replace my O2 11 Pro directly from Apple. Do O2 tariffs have to be 5G specific to work on 5G, or will existing tariffs work on 5G when its available in the area?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@YaBoi 

All tariffs are 5g but you'll need a new sim from any O2 store to access the 5g network.

You can also call O2 to get a new sim sent out Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@YaBoi 

All tariffs are 5g but you'll need a new sim from any O2 store to access the 5g network.

You can also call O2 to get a new sim sent out Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

YaBoi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My O2 sim on my iPhone 11 Pro is an eSIM, and Apple looks to allow eSIM transfers without the carrier (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210655).

Would I still need a new eSIM to allow 5G?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@YaBoi 

If the Apple eSim is 5g no, as your tariff already supports 5g it's just the sim you need.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4