Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New esim - setting up - moving from iPhone 10 to iPhone 12ro

boxbeck77
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve just received an esim and am setting up my new iPhone . I need to know if I should set it up using my current iPhone 10 or put the existing sim in my new iPhone 12 and set up the esim from there. Which method please? Many thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

You can remove it now @boxbeck77 

It should be dead anyway.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 19

boxbeck77
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. I tried removing it but got the message “no sim” so have put it back in. It’s about 3.5 hours since I set up the esim, so I guess I’ll just have to be patient. Nightmare trying to speak to someone at o2, they clearly don’t want you to call them. Cheers
Message 12 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Just be patient @boxbeck77 yahoo

Reboot every half hour or so.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 19

boxbeck77
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good morning! Rebooted this morning and still no service. 11am will be 24 hours since I started the esim process. Not sure how to get to speak to an O2 technician, but will search for a landline number. Is it worth scanning the qr code with the phone before I do this? Or does it run the risk of losing my mobile number? Cheers
Message 14 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@boxbeck77 

QR code should have been scanned as part of the swap process. 

Landline numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Currently using:
Message 15 of 19

boxbeck77
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a horrible feeling I screwed up. I have scanned the code and now have ended up with a secondary connection which does not have my mobile number! Any bright ideas how I can get my number transferred?
Message 16 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

You'll need to call O2 now @boxbeck77 

Just ask them to transfer your number to the eSim.

They open at 8.00am

Currently using:
Message 17 of 19

boxbeck77
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5. I am all sorted now. I spoke to someone in Customer Services who confirmed that the only phone number associated with the esim is my existing number. So I removed the old sim and the secondary connection has now become primary!

I have looked again at the instructions on the esim to see how I went wrong. I did misread them but They don’t actually quite match up to what happens on the iPhone. Because I had inserted the physical sim from my previous phone, scanning the code with the camera on the new phone would lead to setting up a secondary connection which would have confused me mightily! Anyway this is all water under the bridge but it would have been better if o2 had decent step by step instructions for someone in my position; I cannot be unique! Thanks again for your support and prompt attention! Cheers
Message 18 of 19

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Glad you are sorted @boxbeck77 thumbsup

Yes indeed, you set up the eSim as secondary and then do the sim swap.

Your physical sim dies when the swap commences which you can then remove as it's no longer functioning.

The phone then only sees one connection on the eSim.

If you want a second line now, you can place another active sim in the sim slot and the phone will detect this and run you through a setup routine.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 19