cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer vs Exisiting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Firstly i would like to express how [removed] i am with the online chat who neevr seem to understand what i am trying to say,

I have been with O2 for close to 15 years and am finally now getting annoyed.

My wife who is under my contract wants a new phone which she can upgrade to, currently there is a double data deal which seems good, but expires this month when her contract is up next month (30th July).

Now my query is why do new customers get the same deal as exisiting? if i buy a new contract its the same price. SO this "upgrade" isnt really an upgrade at all its just a new contract, surely they should want to entice people to stay with them?

I have looked at giff gaff can get unlimted everything for £20 a month and buy the phone outright wnd make a saving, obviouly finding the month out right is a pain. and they even run on the o2 network so a win.

Ive been told i have retention offers which obviously annot be told till contract expires, buy then this data deal witll be over.

Why dont o2 value their customers? on one contract alone i have spent over £5500 in my time with them and have a 2nd contract too.

ANd just getting fobbd off by the online chat is infurating.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2's policy is "a fair deal for all" which means all new and old customers get the same deals, apart from what retentions can offer you.
One way around your problem is to pay off early what you owe and then call retentions to tell them you are leaving and see what deal they can offer you to stay.
Also, be aware that it's not unlimited data of giffgaff, it's "always on" which means that after 6gb you get reduced speed from 8.00am until midnight, so unless you work nights you will struggle to use any data at the reduced speed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2's policy is "a fair deal for all" which means all new and old customers get the same deals, apart from what retentions can offer you.
One way around your problem is to pay off early what you owe and then call retentions to tell them you are leaving and see what deal they can offer you to stay.
Also, be aware that it's not unlimited data of giffgaff, it's "always on" which means that after 6gb you get reduced speed from 8.00am until midnight, so unless you work nights you will struggle to use any data at the reduced speed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

So it's not really "a fair deal for all" because new customers don't have access to the retention deals that existing customers can get.

confused?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Interpret it how you like - I don't make the rules, however, it would be somewhat difficult to "retain" a new customer until they had completed their first contract.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
It's not uncommon. O2 will offer small retention discounts to those who are "profitable" but in all fairness, it's normally a small monthly discount or waver of the handset upfront fee. The tariffs are the same.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 13

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It would be somewhat difficult to "retain" a new customer until they had completed their first contract.

But the discounts offered to existing customers to persuade them to stay are not available to new customers to persuade them to join so it's clearly not "a fair deal for all"

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 13

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
Could your wife not upgrade early and get the double data deal this month @Anonymous? If there's only a month remaining then you'd only be talking about a few pounds (which you'd be paying anyway next month).
In the context of phone networks, 'upgrade' refers to replacing your current phone or airtime plan with a different one, whilst retaining your number and account settings.
A 'new' contract would come with new mobile number and would run in addition to any other connections you have.
These terms refer purely to the circumstances that contracts are purchased under, rather than denoting any extra value for one over the over.
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong they don't discount on the handsets it's only the airtime plans

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end we were able to upgrade, the early upgrade fee was writtewn off as the z5 she wants o2 no longer offer. This was done through car phone warehouse. althogugh when my contact passes next year i will be going to giff gaff for a small monthly fee from what im on at the moment (as long a smy phone doesnt break by then)

Message 9 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions