Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contracts are 36 months. Why?

Wearycustomer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve been told my phone is available to upgrade, but I don’t want to be tied in to a 36 month contract, especially when all the handsets seem to have a built in obsolescence factor of two years. It’s annoying to have to look at another provider now, but it does feel like O2 are punishing existing customers.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

@Wearycustomer 

You can choose the duration of your contract from between 3 to 26 months.

It's entirely your choice.

https://www.o2.co.uk/custom-plans

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

@Wearycustomer 

You can choose the duration of your contract from between 3 to 26 months.

It's entirely your choice.

https://www.o2.co.uk/custom-plans

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

GDyTwoShoes
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 Your response is as unhelpful as is possible and deliberately does not answer the question,

YES you can choose to change from the NOW default 36 months to 24 months but then the tariff goes from a ridiculous price to quite frankly unaffordable. Making renting a handset because that is in effect what it is a luxury (perhaps it always was).

Nonetheless the unanswered question that O2 consistently and conveniently avoid answering is why they have put their tariff prices up, increased the contract length and even more so why this is at the same time knowing that the handsets have built in obsolescence to last around 24 months!?

My last two handsets at 24 months lost holding their charge and the current handset requires charging usually twice a day making it far less 'mobile' than worth paying the price.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6631 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

So someone tries to answer your question giving a solution and you are still not happy

As you are able to upgrade and at the end of your contract, there are other networks seing you are not happy with O2

Also, if your batteries are lasting 2 years or less then you aren't charging and conditioning them right.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

@GDyTwoShoes 

My response was not an answer to your question and the OP appears perfectly happy with it.

The answer still stands and pricing was never part of the question anyway.

No one here can answer regarding O2's prices other than to say that as a business, they will charge as much as they can and will continue to do so whilst customers continue to pay.

If you don't like it, go elsewhere, simples!

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Wearycustomer 

I disagree with :-

"....all the handsets seem to have a built in obsolescence factor of two years....". 

The Samsung Galaxy S24 range of handsets come with seven years of updates. That should ensure that these handset retain their value and means that the three big names - Apple, Samsung and Google - all offer lengthy update periods for their 'phones. 

I really see more users retaining their 'phones for longer, and getting a better trade-in or second-hand price when they decide to purchase a replacement.   

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

1 post over 3 years ago probably means they're not really interested in discussing this any further.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

GDyTwoShoes
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for taking the time to type out a response,

I searched for 'obsolescence', this thread came up, so I added a post. No one forces you to respond.

First, if you had but done your homework, all service providers have now by default started using a 36-month default contract at a premium, which then goes astronomical if reduced to say 24-months. So really is there any value to your sage advice to look at other networks?

Second I interacted directly with Sony (the brand of handset I prefer) at around 18 months to check that I was using best practice settings to preserve battery life, they confirmed I am. This is the third handset that at around 24-months started losing it's charge quicker almost within a month, hence my raising the question of obsolescence.

Thanks again,

Message 8 of 11

GDyTwoShoes
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Appreciate your concern, of course you didn't but my post was in reply to yours!

Very observant of you, however I searched for 'obsolescence', this thread came up, so I added a post.

As far as your very helpful "If you don't like it, go elsewhere, simples!" opinion, If you had but done your homework, all service providers have now by default started using a 36-month default contract at a premium, which then goes astronomical if reduced to say 24-months. So really is there any value to your sage advice to look at other networks?

You take good care now okay,

Message 9 of 11

GDyTwoShoes
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for this, I have been using Sony handsets and that is the handset that has the battery issue.

As mentioned I did contact Sony and they confirmed my settings used are the ideal the get the best life span,

Will have a look at the Samsung S24, appreciate your advice.

Message 10 of 11