Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Zealand

Travelquestion
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just upgraded my Sim only deal, so I get 120 mins/texts and unlimited data in New Zealand and Australia as I'm travelling there for 4 months. Probably a silly question, but O2 do have coverage over there don't they?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
  • 144367 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Coverage will be as good as the local networks which I guess should be good considering the countries you are visiting.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I hope you get decent data speeds! There is decent coverage in both New Zealand and Australia but I never used data. Certainly in the big cities, coverage is good though I wasn't touring through the outback or wide open countrysides (Except the Blue Mountains where we picked a misty day and there was zero coverage).

Roaming Partners

Australia

Vodafone Pacific Limited (Hutchison 3G Australia Pty) 3G 2100 Live

Vodafone Pacific Limited (vodafone) GSM 900/1800 Live

Vodafone Pacific Limited (Vodafone) 3G 2100 Live

Telstra Corporation Limited (Telstra MobileNet) 3G 2100 Live

Telstra Corporation Limited (Telstra MobileNet) GSM 900/1800 Live

Telstra Corporation Limited (Telstra MobileNet) 3G 850 Live

Singtel Optus Limited (YES OPTUS) 3G 900/2100 Live

Singtel Optus Limited (YES OPTUS) GSM 900/1800 Live

New Zealand

Two Degrees Mobile Limited (2degrees) GSM 900/1800 Live

Telecom New Zealand Limited (Telecom New Zealand) 3G 2100 Live

Telecom New Zealand Limited (Telecom New Zealand) 3G 850 Live

Vodafone Mobile NZ Limited (vodafone) GSM 900 Live

Vodafone Mobile NZ Limited (Vodafone) GSM 1800 Live

Vodafone Mobile NZ Limited (Vodafone) 3G 2100 Live

Message 12 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

It was the data speeds I was concerned about @jonsie

Lets face it, after this years fiasco with O2 Trave Inclusive, I wouldn't bet on anything. No indication either that @Travelquestion has the Inclusive deal. Just sounds like O2 Travel to me.

Either way, countries out of Europe and with O2 have suffered with slow speeds. Hence my suggestion of a local sim just in case...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 25

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

That would definitely be my choice for a 4 month trip. You know my feelings on that when travelling outside the EU.

Message 14 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23079 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Travelquestion If you haven't left yet, you should take a look at using a Three sim. With an Advanced plan or Pay & Go you can use data, text and call back to the UK from Australia and New Zealand with no roaming charges.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 25

Travelquestion
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff I have got the Travel inclusive deal, and my allowances are as per original post. @BambinoI had looked at 3, but since I will be paying my o2 bill anyway (that is the ONLY coverage I get at home unless I want to hang out of my bedroom window), by upgrading my SIM to travelinclusive, it was a much cheaper overall option. Minutes and text aren't that important to me as I use whats app mostly, so it was the data that was important.

Message 16 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Travelquestion

I'm pleased you have O2 Travel Inclusive, though the point I was making was, it hasn't worked well for a lot of people posting on here. At first we thought it was just down to it being summer and excessive numbers of people travelling (though that should never have been an excuse)

However. people were still complaining in October, so I really do hope it works out for you

Most of the complaints were based upon users suddenly getting a text from O2 after a day saying they had used up all of their allowances.

I hope it's sorted now and have a great time in Australia and New Zealand wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 25

MI5
  • 144367 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Make sure you report back here on how it worked out for you and enjoy your holidays slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 25

Travelquestion
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all, I will report back. I can (if I have to) use a local SIM, but hopefully won't need to. 

Message 19 of 25

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Yes let us know, it will be useful for anyone visiting there. Have a great time if it's a pleasure trip and try not to work too hard if it's business smiling

Message 20 of 25