Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5G sim doesn’t work

LizDiz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there. I received a 5G sim as part of my new sim only plan for my new phone. I only received the sim no detail, when I installed it into my phone it doesn't recognise the network and isn't registered to my phone number so I receive no texts or calls when in my phone. Was forced to return my old 4G sim and immediately received all my texts and missed calls info. Am I supposed to contact someone with the detail of the sim? I have tried calling and emailing general O2 but came up against a brick wall on both on help on this issue.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@LizDiz You need to swap your old 4G sim to your new 5G one: SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

Bear in mind that it's only necessary to do that if you have a 5G phone and you're in a 5G area, and want to avail yourself of 5G services. If 5G isn't up and running where you are you can carry on using your 4G sim as before. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

N-Star09
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was wondering if you give me advice regarding sim swap.

I was previously on a monthly rolling contract.

I have successfuly upgraded to a monthly sim only contract (18 Months).

I have also recieved my new 5G phone (Samsung S21)

I have also recieved my new 5G sim.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/SIM-Swap-a-mini-guide-incl-eSim/ba-p/1060675

I am trying to follow the instructions in the above link however i fear it doesnt make sense.

Do i complete the sim swap instructions using my old 4G sim or put the new 5G sim and complete the sim swap instructions.

Once completing the sim swap, will i keep my number or be given a different number?

How long will the sim swap activation take? Will i still be able send/recieve calls/text etc?

Finally, can i delay the sim swap as 5G only works outdoors according to current O2 5G coverage checker.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@N-Star09 If you're finding the guide confusing, the best thing for you to do is keep using your 4G sim in your new phone. The coverage checker is only an estimated guide, and if you're not desperate to be using the 5G service you may as well wait. When the latest lockdown ends, and the O2 stores reopen, if you have a store nearby you can go in and they will do the swap for you. You're phone number will stay the same. If you go in store, the swap can take up to 24 hours, but it's usually much quicker than that. I did one several years ago and the swap happened in 20 minutes.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@N-Star09 

You do everything from your old 4g sim card.

After you send the first text, O2 will reply asking you for the serial number of the new sim, which you reply to the text with.

Once you've done that, the old sim will lose signal almost immediately, so you then put the new 5g sim in the phone and reboot.

In a few seconds, you will see the signal bars increase indicating that it is working.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

N-Star09
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for reply

Much appreciated

Message 6 of 6