Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network selection?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Ok...here's another query which puzzles me (doesn't take much I know!) Why is it, when I go abroad taking my contract S3 and old PAYG Motorola...that i turn both phones on when I land and immediately Motorola finds the network (Movistar) but the S3 needs all sorts of jiggery pokery ie turn on> settings>more settings>mobile networks> then fiddle around while it searches for them and then choose the one I want? (which takes 5 minutes longer than the Motorola?)

See, I thought these Smartphones are meant to be just that..SMART, but this is annoying and I need an explanation please?? (I apologise for the technophobia but you can't fault my logic!) Smiley FrustratedSmiley Embarassed:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Just click select automatically and it always will from then on....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
If you have network selection set to "Auto" you shouldn't need to do anything else.....
Bet you're glad you came home to this weather today, eh?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have just checked and yes it is saying GSM/WCDMA (auto mode) but how long would it normally take for the S3 to find the network? I must admit I have never 'allowed' it to sort itself out, I just presumed I had to do itSmiley Embarassed

As for the weather in sunny Nunny..yeah right! I turned the central heating back on last night!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thank god for edit...that message above, posted twice!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 21

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Click on "Network Operators" and make sure that has Auto selected also. It should happen instantly (well like within a minute or two).

Currently using:
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I turned the central heating back on last night!

Welcome home Cleoriff Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 21

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

My S3 is set to Auto and takes at least 2 minutes longer than my old Nokia E72 to find the network whenever I travel overseas. Not a problem but very noticeable.

Message 7 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Click on "Network Operators" and make sure that has Auto selected also. It should happen instantly (well like within a minute or two).

Ehhh??? Did that, and up comes Search networks or Select Automatically (but there isnt a tick box for either)...just a range of UK networks (including O2) so logically these are the networks HERE I can choose? So I presume when i land in Spain the Spanish networks take over that section...but as i say, no tick box for selecting Auto Network Operators

(Hahaha.. if it can't be ticked there must be summat wrong in my eyesSmiley Frustrated)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 21

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Just click select automatically and it always will from then on....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I turned the central heating back on last night!

Welcome home Cleoriff Smiley LOL

Thanks...tho wish I was still in Spain...and just to make you smile I have only JUST discovered how to bring up your comments when replying i.e. click on quote. YEP...very talented I am to be sureSmiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 21