Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Need Help - O2 Top up amount of £30 siphoned off to £0.00

@adamtemp64

I have done as you said and reset the APN to the correct settings for PAYG as mentioned by O2 here

I am on the Text & Web Tariff found here 300 UK texts and 500MB when you top-up £10 a month.
When my free time is over, I remember to switch off 3g, therefore incur no unexpected surprises and this has worked for the best part of two years. I am not looking for a tariff under £5, I am happy with the tariff I am on, just not happy with how O2 have decided to waste my credit to send me stupid WAP messages that are driving me nuts and preventing me from using my phone even now, I have just noticed that I am not alone, O2 has been subjecting many other customers to this prank as well - click here to read

@Trigati75b
I did answer the 022 02 call this evening, turns out to be another O2 salesperson trying to sell me O2 Home Phone, wanted to know how much I was paying BT. Smiley Wink
Well, I am certainly not interested in any other O2 products or services anymore, I will be switching my custom to SKY, at least they know how to treat their customers and I hear their TV + Phone + Broadband package has hit the 10 million customers mark

I know for a fact that apps do not update automatically, I was fed incorrect information by the customer care rep and after I pushed her further about how this was possible with 3g turned off and no other data connection available, she stumbled and admitted she wasn't sure how the connection was possible, but offered to sell me a bolt-on instead :womanindifferent:
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Ok

Turning 3G off only means data will still connect via edge or GPRS so you will still be charged so if you have used the 500 mb then unless you have ios4 you need to cripple the 3 apn's. In ios4 you can turn cell data off.

Hope that helps

If you had said which tariff in your first reply to me it would have helped.

Also the linked message is when people have upgraded to ios4 there is a bug in the carrier settings and all they have to do is manually reset.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

there are a lot of posts in the PAYG forum about this. My wife's android phone lost £90 over about 10 days/2weeks when it wasn't being used. We *think* it is because O2 switched off the web browsing functionality from the account linked to sim card (this is pre-simplicity) and so the little apps that get weather data and check for updates just drained the account at prices in excess of £3/Mb.

So I rang a number to add simplicity and then add the text and web bolt on for 15 quid and the account has stopped draining. I think the big problem is going to be in a months time when it will just start draining the account again.
Anonymous

oh look...O2 glitch is mentioned on The Register!

Sounds like it's not an isolated problem after all, since a lot of confused users don't know who to turn to after they have realised their accounts have been rinsed dry.

Come on O2, stick your finger out and reimburse all customers that are out of pocket due to your "data settings glitch", it doesn't take a genius to rectify the problem at your end.

Thumbs up to The Register for highlighting customer complaints. Smiley Wink

:robotindifferent: :::Click Here::: for the full article and comments
Anonymous

The Register article does mention that the problem is that people are not turning off all data (they are merely turning off 3G, which means that you are using 2G, which is still chargeable).
The gist of the article is that O2 need to find a way of dealing with less technically literate customers who may not realise they are using data.
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

prking

I have posted the suggestion to disable the apn above and ios4 has cell data off.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Register

The register does mention how customers are unwittingly duped into having their accounts emptied by tricksters, who promised unlimited data, but only offer 500MB (...and not even that). The silly thing is, that during the free month most users only surfed the web sparingly and had plenty of MBs left over to stay on the safe side (stay below the 500MB limit) and that's how O2 pay them back....by robbing them blind.

The main issue here is, O2 not telling iPhone users beforehand, that they would need to change their settings afterwards, otherwise they WILL be charged extortionate amounts of money for "things running in the background" almost immediately after their free month, if O2 wants to call its customers "stupid", that's fine, just don't expect us to hang around throwing money at you when there are much more competent networks out there.

It's all good changing the settings now, when there's no money left to protect, a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. :womanindifferent:
Anonymous

I'm not sure if prking is on the staff of o2....

I don't think this is a user error. The simplicity tarrif just isn't simple and definitely is not transparent to the user. What *should* happens is that the phone should not be able to surf at all and the user not get charged. When they do, it should say "you do not have a web bolt on".

I would be very interested to find out just how much money O2 have robbed from their customers over the last 4 weeks.
Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,326

I'm not sure if prking is on the staff of o2....

He's not and he gives his opinion as he sees it with impartiality.