Did you mean: 

Nationwide data issue?

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is abit long so bare with me

So starting on Friday i noticed some apps and websites failed to load or loaded very slowly when using data. Over wifi those apps/sites worked fine. I rebooted phone and still the same. Confirmed with o2 i didnt have age restriction on my account. Also i was travelling alot over the weekend so isnt restricted to my local mast

I Googled and check things like Twitter, downdetector website and also this and Giffgaff forums and a few others from all over the UK reported the same issues - some apps and sites not working on data but fine on wifi. Some reported going into 3G fixed it and it does to some degree. I went from 4G to 3G and the app works. Back to 4G and it fails to load. . Ive seen tweets, forum posts and reddit threads all reporting similar issues over the past 24hrs

It very random too. Apps that worked yesterday day, failed to work in the afternoon only to work again in the evening. Only one that consistently doesnt work on data is the reddit app. These forums are slow on data too but fine on wifi

So it seems there is some nationwide issue effecting some o2 users
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We've had a few issues reported over the weekend but not to epidemic levels.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Seems that way on twitter and other social media. Because its intermitent i wonder if people assume its a temporary blip, and also if its app specific they may assume its the app playing up

A rep on giffgaff said it was beinh investigated but o2 deny any issues
Message 3 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@paulbacon If you're able to download this app, report it there: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

If enough people are reporting the issue, O2 will have to address it instead of denying it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 11

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@paulbacon If you're able to download this app, report it there: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

If enough people are reporting the issue, O2 will have to address it instead of denying it.

Cheers will try. From experience though all that does is check the local mast in your area. The mast it seems is fine, it looks like a DNS issue deeper within their network

Message 5 of 11

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@paulbacon I think you're referring to this link: https://status.o2.co.uk/
The My Network app allows you to report issues and, I believe, is much more effective.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 11

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:
@paulbaconI think you're referring to this link: https://status.o2.co.uk/
The My Network app allows you to report issues and, I believe, is much more effective.

Reported the issue and just copied what i put in my OP. Not holding much hope from it, but seems Giffgaff have raised the issue

Message 7 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
@Martin-O2 will pick it up here tomorrow too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@paulbacon You've done as much as you can do, and if GiffGaff have also raised the issue then hopefully O2 will take notice. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 11

Mateus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So far I've found three sites that are inaccessible over 4G:

• theguardian.com
  • reddit.com
  • theverge.com

Any more?

p.s. I've just been told by O2 Support that there's a problem with the local mast. thinking

Message 10 of 11