cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name change runaround

Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed up with o2 over the phone, spelled my name using the phonetic alphabet and confirmed the details.

All went well my phone arrived and it is working, but when I logged into the o2 website I see they have mis-spelled my surname. I phoned support who told me to go into an o2 shop with a driving licence. This is not easy as it is over an hour by bus. 

In the shop they tell me I can't do it there and I have to send in a letter with a utility bill to sort it out.

Should I worry about it, o2 made the mistake, I have tried to solve it but it seems they are not bothered by the mistake. I am thinking I have done enough and should leave it as it is.

Do I have to worry legally, or as it is their fault and I have tried to fix it I am in the clear?

Any advice appreciated.

S. Soanes.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Unfortunately a letter is the only way to get it changed with an accompanying document. O2 have my first name spelt incorrectly for the last four years but I have never bothered changing it.

I imagine it's always best to have the correct details in any legal document or contract but with a phone contract I don't think it really matters.

The annoying thing is that any direct debit will have the correct account details and name spelling (assuming it's paid out of your own account)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Unfortunately a letter is the only way to get it changed with an accompanying document. O2 have my first name spelt incorrectly for the last four years but I have never bothered changing it.

I imagine it's always best to have the correct details in any legal document or contract but with a phone contract I don't think it really matters.

The annoying thing is that any direct debit will have the correct account details and name spelling (assuming it's paid out of your own account)

Message 2 of 6

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I think it is okay.  They do have to go through lots of official stuff to be able to change it for security purposes.  I have to have Mr instead of Miss on mine 😞  I dont think it was worth the effort to try change it though. 

Samsung S8
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that, glad I am not alone. I will leave it as it is then. It will be interesting if they get the name right for the direct debit! lol
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It will be interesting if they get the name right for the direct debit! lol

'Bank' on it!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable