Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery SMS "charges when abroad"

Quackduck
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

According to my Pay Monthly bill this month I've been charged extra for 5 (so far!) SMS messages to the following number while abroad: 07860 019210 

I don't recognise the number, I have not sent any SMS while I've been away, and I have no record on my phone of having sent these messages.

A quick Google of the number suggests it's either a scam, or it's related to O2 somehow, as other O2 customers have experienced the same while abroad. I am using an eSIM for mobile data since the O2 plan was too expensive.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I've been trying to get hold of someone at O2 customer service for the past 24h but no luck. I'd just like to understand what I'm being charged for, or whether it's a scam. (Blocking the number won't help since my O2 bill claims I sent the messages myself.)

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

LondonSeb
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same problem. In UAE. No evidence in my phone of any text, don’t know the number and o2 has taken a £6 daily travel bolt on charge from me as a result. 

Message 21 of 95

MattyBur
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep. Raised a complaint via Resolver and got a generic "we'll get back to you" response from O2 but they completely ignored it and I never did get a reply.

It would help if everyone here raised a complaint, but I know no one will and so do O2!

Message 22 of 95

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@MattyBur 

I am confused - did you not tell us on 2 January 2024 (above) that O2 had agreed to reimburse you ?  

Message 23 of 95

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@LondonSeb 

If you intend to seek reimbursement, you'll need to contact O2 Customer Services. This is a customer to customer forum and we cannot access accounts.  

Contact details are here :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

The social media route seems to be well thought of, so maybe try that first ?

Message 24 of 95

MattyBur
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, and I also said it was only £2.50 and not about the amount - my complaint is that they're adding erroneous charges to my (and many other people's bills) and then blaming me for it and making me jump through hoops to get it back.

Message 25 of 95

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10573 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

What phone are you using @MattyBur and @LondonSeb  As curious if its a particular feature on a OS such as IOS or Android

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 26 of 95

MattyBur
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Message 27 of 95

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146744 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

Most likely iMessage and VVM registration.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 28 of 95

MattyBur
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So admit to that and explain that this is what it is, rather than telling me that "a family member must have borrowed my phone and sent the texts". 

Message 29 of 95

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146744 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@MattyBur 

You have to take into consideration the ability of the agents and how much (little) training they have.

Customer services is just a tick box exercise and O2 would rather you came here or figured it out for yourself.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 30 of 95