Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

My Desire S cannot get 3g

I have a week old Desire S and don't seem to be able to get 3G. I have been sent the settings by email twice (interestingly two different lots of settings, GPRS WAP & MMS and also Mobile Web although you can only select one APN at a time?)
However, I was in Oxford with a friend and his O2 Ddesire S had showed H whereas mine still showed only G.
Am I missing something?
Anonymous

Re: My Desire S cannot get 3g

Yes.
Wap, MMS and Mobile Web are the settings for different things. Of course, you can have all three at once, provided you have entered them correctly the handset will switch between them as necessary. You could make do with just the first two.
Is the phone switched to 3G or dual 3G/2G mode? Check that it isn't set to 2G only.
Check that 3G is available in your area.
Check that your SIM is a 3G SIM.
Check that your SIM is a 3G SIM.
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.
I compared the settings on my phone and my friends and they were the same.
As I live in a non 3g area I cannot sit at home and check the settings unfortunately.
I can't find the option to switch between 3G and dual 3G/2G.
Looks like I will have to take it to the shop and get them to check it.
Anonymous

Is it an old SIM? It may need changing for a newer one. If you go to the shop they should check
Anonymous

The sim came with the phone, I was on PAYG before I got the Desire S on contract and had my number moved over to the new sim.
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.
I compared the settings on my phone and my friends and they were the same.
As I live in a non 3g area I cannot sit at home and check the settings unfortunately.
I can't find the option to switch between 3G and dual 3G/2G.
Looks like I will have to take it to the shop and get them to check it.

Settings
Wireless & Networks
Mobile Networks
Network Mode
select GSM / WCDMA auto
You could try forcing 3G as a test when you you know you are in a 3G area (ie when your mate with a Desire S on O2 has 3G) by selecting WCDMA only.
Anonymous

Thanks, it was set to auto.
I have booked an appointment with an O2 Guru on Friday to confirm the phone is Ok. Just hope that the shop can get 3G!
Anonymous

Well, after visiting the shop, the Guru tried another sim and that worked so I have a new sim and it has fixed it.
My only thought is that when they transfered my number to the new sim it must have corrupted but is only my theory).
Anonymous

Excellent!