cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

KayBeeSp
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just received this from O2:
Hi, it's O2. We know that you received texts last week that you didn't request and may have been charged for in error. We'll be in touch on Monday to confirm your refund if you've been overcharged. You don't need to do anything.
Message 101 of 113

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@KayBeeSp wrote:
Just received this from O2:
Hi, it's O2. We know that you received texts last week that you didn't request and may have been charged for in error. We'll be in touch on Monday to confirm your refund if you've been overcharged. You don't need to do anything.

Interesting. O2 are the last of the networks to refund. Absolutely pathetic.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 102 of 113

Fergymusic
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you all for your efforts on behalf of customers like myself who have fallen victim to this crime.
Message 103 of 113

SSLAMB
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got 24 texts from this number all at the same time. Just checked my bill and was charged 83p for each text, total £19.99

Message 104 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@SSLAMB Actually, you will be charged £1 for each text (£0.87 + VAT at 20%). Make sure you are refunded in full!

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 105 of 113

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Got a text from O2 yesterday which seems to have been the end result of their investigation.

"O2: You wont get any more texts or charges from the Premium text provider that you asked about. The service has been stopped for you."

That's it.

Also bearing in mind I was told that apparently all Premium services had been barred from my account after phoning them when this first happened, so it took them over a week to do... absolutely nothing.

Charges still on my account. £130 bill hits in 9 hours according to the app.

Still finding this whole thing ridiculous and inadequately handled.

Pretty tempted to move to EE if they're the only network that has some ethics to actually carry out due diligence and not get into business with dodgy companies in the first place, and more transparently allow consumers to bar premium services.

Message 106 of 113

SierraWhiskey34
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Spoke to someone from O2 this morning (and their supervisor) who said because my bill was generated the day after the texts the DD for the full amount will come out next week and I'll get a credit prior to next bill. That means my next 3 x bills will cost £0, but also means I'm likely to be charged for my overdraft by the bank as I hadn't budgeted to pay my phone bill in advance for 4 months. Absolutely no use at all!
Message 107 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@SierraWhiskey34 wrote:
Spoke to someone from O2 this morning (and their supervisor) who said because my bill was generated the day after the texts the DD for the full amount will come out next week and I'll get a credit prior to next bill. That means my next 3 x bills will cost £0, but also means I'm likely to be charged for my overdraft by the bank as I hadn't budgeted to pay my phone bill in advance for 4 months. Absolutely no use at all!

Did you ask O2 to refund the credit back to your bank account? Did they refuse?

As they have accepted that the charges were unlawful, you can hold O2 responsible for any consequential loss. We have already warned O2, Tap2Bill and Moblix Media that this could happen if they didn't refund speedily.

You must warn O2 that there is a problem, ask them to help, and tell them that you will hold them liable for your losses if they don't.  Keep evidence that you have done this. If they refuse to help, and you have consequential losses, contact us through the website https://psconsumers.org.uk/contact/  and we'll take up your case.

Do you have a PSA case reference? Ensure that they are also aware of this issue. Report it now if you haven't already. https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/report-an-issue  

Message 108 of 113

Julsbals
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Should I be concerned that I haven’t received this text from O2 saying they’ll be in contact today to sort problem? I still have charges on my account which surely can just be removed rather than just offer a refund? Pretty simple surely?
Message 109 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Julsbals wrote:
Should I be concerned that I haven’t received this text from O2 saying they’ll be in contact today to sort problem? I still have charges on my account which surely can just be removed rather than just offer a refund? Pretty simple surely?

@Julsbals I think it would be worth confirming with someone from O2 that you will be refunded. As far as we know O2 has sent texts to all the customers they intend to refund. We expect refunds to hit O2 accounts later today.

Of course, it is ridiculous that these charges can't simply be reversed.

This fiasco has served as a clear illustration of everything that is wrong with Phone-payment services.

We've been told that texts to the value of about £800,000 were sent to thousands of customers. Tap2Bill who sent the texts accept that they were unlawful and have undertaken to ensure that everyone is refunded.
However, they did not provide a timescale for this. As of today Vodafone, Virgin Mobile, Sky Mobile and Three customers have been refunded. It seems that O2 and GiffGaff cutomers will have to wait longer.

There is no simple system which allows networks to automatically reverse these charges, and that is part of the problem.

Phone-payment is an appalling system which would not pass FCA regulation if it were subject to it. If thousands of Paypal payments had been taken in error, Paypal themselves would be able to easily reverse them. There is no such simple facility with Phone-payment. The payments can't be simply reversed by a network. Instead, they are dependent on Tap2Bill processing and applying refunds.

This is the fundamental problem with the system overseen by PSA. The networks enter in to a contract with companies like Tap2Bill giving them direct access to their billing system. When your network tell you that the charges are "beyond their control" they are actually telling the truth. They make no attempt authenticate the charges made by Tap2Bill. No proof is required that the charges are lawful, and the networks provide no mechanism for you to dispute them.
To make matters worse, if you refuse to pay the disputed bill, it is your network that will enforce the debt, even they hold no evidence that the disputed charges were lawful!
In turn, Tap2Bill contract with companies like Moblix Media which allow them to use their "platform" to make charges directly to consumers' phone bills. This is how a company you have never heard of can make a charge to your phone bill which is almost impossible to recover.
Lasevia, Wapstar, Remote Games, Bodyin8, Nuyoo and ModoMobi are just a few of the scams previously facilitated by Tap2Bill. Yet O2, Vodafone and Three continue to allow them unfettered access to customers' accounts. It is significant that EE was unaffected by this fiasco. Why? Because EE had more sense than to do business with a company that generates large numbers of consumer fraud complaints. Tap2Bill tell me that EE do have some contracts with them, but not for "services" like these.
We believe that the system is in need of a major overhaul. Key to this is that the mobile networks take back control of their billing systems and, like other payment processors, insist on proof of consent before parting with their customers' money.

In the short term, it's time the networks carried out a proper risk assesment of their so called "partners" like Tap2Bill.
In our correspondence with PSA we have said that we believe that they need to take look at the Due Diligence, Risk Assessment and Control measures implemented by Tap2Bill. They have begun to look more closely at level 1 providers (as was evidenced by the Veoo case).
We hope that today will see the return of the remaining unlawful charges to customers' accounts. If this doesn't happen please let us know.

Message 110 of 113