cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How can you even be charged for simple receiving a text when you never signed up to any service to receive them?
Message 71 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@paulbacon wrote:
How can you even be charged for simple receiving a text when you never signed up to any service to receive them?

The rules say that this shouldn't happen. But nobody enforces the rules! Best to ask @O2 to bar all third party charges to protect yourself.

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 72 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:
Hey all,

Thank you for your reports and highlighting this. We have been informed of a technical issue from the merchant behind these texts, who is currently investigating. In the meantime we'd like to assure you that you'll be refunded for any messages received from this shortcode during this timeframe, and you'll also be contacted shortly once the refund is complete.

Sorry again for any confusion or frustration this has caused.

@Chris_K 

Can you clarify this advice please, as your Twitter team are still giving conflicting advice.

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 08.08.28.png

Can you put out a clear statement, both here and on Twitter of whether or not you will be sorting out refunds for victims of this "technical issue".  

While we accept that O2 are not directly responsible for these fraudulent charges, they result from O2 having entered in to a contract with Tap2Bill - a company which has been implicated in issues like this many times before. 

O2 should not be passing on payments like these without any proof of consent, and should provide a disputes resolution process to quickly and effectively deal with cases like these. O2 are abusing their exemption from the PSD2 directives to operate a payment mechanic which has none of the safeguards which would exist if they were subject to FCA regulation.

Message 73 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

We have written to the Phone-paid Services Authority about this incident and will post any response we receive.

PSCGlogosmallnew2.png

Dear both

It was good to speak with you on Friday and review the positive progress which has been made in recent months in reducing the level of complaints about Phone-paid Services. It was also good to get an idea of your progress on the development of Code 15. Many of the proposals are good, but I believe that  it is essential that the mobile networks provide consumers with an effective disputes resolution system, similar to those offered by other payment processors. We remain of the view that the mobile networks are abusing their exemption from the PSD2 regulations by taking no responsibility for the payments they are facilitating.

I may have been tempting providence when I commented that the level of complaints had dropped, as on Friday evening and Saturday morning we received more complaints than in the previous six weeks! These complaints related to premium texts, charged at £1 each received from shortcode 84222. Complaints were received from customers of all the mobile networks with the sole exception of EE. We also received complaints from Sky Mobile and GiffGaff customers. Consumers reported receiving a large number of identical texts, the content of which was:

“f (b) fri lockdown offer goto www.freebee.eu/claim enter code COFFEE be sure to claim by 4PM 27/09 Unsubscribe? Txt FREEB STOP 84222 or call 02032913904”

The service checker identifies this service as being operated by Moblix Media Ltd, who have been subject to PSA sanctions before for sending unsolicited premium texts. We believe that the Level 1 for this shortcode is Tap2Bill. The precise nature of the service is unclear. Your service checker identifies it as a subscription service:

Service description

SMS-based voucher service where members subscribe to receive regular vouchers. The cost of membership is up to £2 per month – the offers are in the form of vouchers for high street stores or cafes/restaurants – including, but not limited to, Boots, Argos, JD Sports, John Lewis, Primark, Arcadia, Topshop, Selfridges, Costa Coffee, Caffé Nero and PizzaExpress

More information about cost

the service is called f(b)friday and run on shared shortcode 84222 – it’s an SMS-based voucher service where members subscribe to receive regular vouchers. The cost of membership is up to £2 per month – the offers are in the form of vouchers for high street stores or cafes/restaurants – including, but not limited to, Boots, Argos, JD Sports, John Lewis, Primark, Arcadia, Topshop, Selfridges, Costa Coffee, Caffé Nero and PizzaExpress.

We assume this information is accurate, but Vodafone offer the following information:

freebeecharges.jpg

This suggests that these might be one-off charges initiated by the consumer sending an MO SMS and receiving a MT SMS.

Are you able to clarify the nature of the service?

Some consumers received in excess of 100 texts, resulting in charges of more than £100. None of the consumers admits to having any interaction which could have resulted in a single text, let alone the dozens actually received. Consumers are asking how Moblix Media obtained their numbers in order to  send the texts. This has sadly led to a “conspiracy theory”, that it was something to do with NHS Track and Trace. Total rubbish of course, but it highlights the need for you to find out how these consumers’ MSISDNs were obtained.

It is clear that something went seriously wrong and I’m sure that the sending of multiple texts was unintentional. However, I do suspect that the intention was to send a single text to each of these consumers, conveniently after close of play on a Friday, leaving consumers unable to do anything until Monday Morning. I’m sure that in due course you will receive a number of complaints. We have encouraged consumers to complain, but unfortunately despite us pointing this out to you, the service checker still says “If after contacting Moblix Media Limited you're still not satisfied with the outcome, you can file a report with us.”. We are doing our best to point out to consumers that sending multiple unsolicited premium texts is a clear breach of the Code of Practice and should be reported whether or not a refund is received.

It seems that Moblix are aware that they have sent these texts as there is a message on the freebe.eu website – “We have been made aware of a technical issue that we are currently investigating. Our Customer Service team will ensure all  affected clients are contacted. If you have been affected, please email customer.service@freeb.me and one of the team will respond”.

Some consumers have also received a text saying “We are aware of a technical issue that means you've received premium messages you didn't request. We will be in touch shortly to arrange a full refund.”

You may wish to review the consumer comments on these links. We believe that the Consumer Panel, in particular, needs to see these comments, so that they can be aware of the anger of consumers when they receive unlawful charges and are then wrongly blamed for initiating them.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/84222

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Multiple-Texts-Off-84222-number-just-now/td-p/1393480

After initially refusing to help consumers, O2 and Vodafone have belatedly agreed to facilitate refunds. However, predictably, Three, Sky Mobile and GiffGaff are accusing customers of having entered in to a lawful contract with Moblix Media and expecting consumers to fend for themselves. So far, attempts to shame these networks in to “doing the right thing” have failed. This highlights the need for the networks to take responsibility for the faults of the “system” they are operating. If PSA lack the authority to insist on this, then maybe the matter should be referred to OFCOM.

We note that this is the latest in a long string of non-compliant services that Tap2Bill have contracted with, and would suggest that you need to look hard at the DDRAC of this Level1 provider. Moblix Media have a track record of non-compliance, so we would have expected them to receive a great deal of scrutiny. We suspect that the reason that EE customers have escaped these unlawful charges is that EE have more sense than to contract with Tap2Bill.

I trust that your investigation of this fiasco will include clarification of the “technical issue” claimed to be responsible, and an assessment of whether the technical capabilities of Tap2Bill and of Moblix Media are of the required standard.

I wish you well with what could be a complex investigation.

Best regards

Paul 

paul@psconsumers.org.uk

Message 74 of 113

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the above two posts Paul @Payforit_Sucks.

It certainly keeps us in the loop about action taken etc.

Personally I find O2's response of it being a glitch in the system, totally distasteful. There should be NO linkers with these scammers at all.

In the current climate, where people are having to make cutbacks to survive an international pandemic and watch every penny they spend, it's appalling that they find themselves with large bills to pay through no fault of their own.

I would like to know how quickly O2 are going to refund their customers?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 75 of 113

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Just catching up on this thread.
Disgusted that these fraudsters are allowed to continue to do this, and the reaction from o2.
With the number of people affected the response should be much stronger - to the point of blocking the Tap2Bill service from operating on their network.
Well done Paul @Payforit_Sucks for your comprehensive replies and bringing it to the attention of the authorities.
Let's hope action is actually taken...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 76 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

To follow up on our previous post, we have now had contact from Tap2Bill  (Imimobile). They assure us that all customers who received these texts will be refunded through their networks without them needing to take any further action. Anyone affected should have received a text informing them of this. Tap2Bill accept that there has been a breach of the regulator's Code of Conduct and that no consent is held for the charges applied.

The explanation offered was that of a program error. It seems that as well as sending these texts to their subscribers, a program error resulted in texts being sent to "random" numbers "plucked" from a database used for marketing purposes. If you've received these texts and have never had dealings with Moblix Media Ltd, it might be wise to send a subject access request (referring to your phone number) to Moblix Media Ltd in order to find out what information they hold and why. This might well be in issue for ICO.

Message 77 of 113

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the PSA letter @Payforit_Sucks and the update from the fraudsters themselves. Can you check your PMs as I sent you something.

One question - you mention about referring the matter to Ofcom in your letter/email to the PSA... why don't you just do that anyway? (as a bulk issue about the security of the premium text system, not just this one event) It seems pretty clear to me that the PSA alone are not fit to handle the size of the system reform that needs to happen.

Also, I've been registered with the TPS for a long time and always refuse consent in privacy agreements for my data to be shared with third parties (I only ever allow data processing with the company I'm dealing directly with and actively reject data sharing). So the only way these fraudsters could have my details for any "marketing purposes" is having bought or stolen data, they're ignoring TPS protocols, or there is another company involved that is not making their data usages clear enough in privacy policies in breach of GDPR.

Totally agree that everyone should hit them with a DSAR. Hopefully a few hundred DSARs will make them sweat and open a can of worms for them.

Message 78 of 113

Andy62
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Penny7, I too receieved 36 texts within two seconds on Friday evening. I also received snother text on Saturday from "Freebee", have not responded to any other than like you to block the number from my phone. After receiving the text from Freebee, I logged onto my accounts to find that I had been charged some £36 for the priveleige of receiving the texts that I did not request. Called O2 customer services to request a refund and they acknowledged that other customers had the same problem and that they had opened an investigation. O2 would not refund my account, said to wait until Monday and phone again which I have done, this time the O2 representitive said that he would credit my account, but have jsut checked (about three hours after I spoke to him) and the credit is not showing up yet, so will continue to monitor. Hope this is of help to you. Regards Andy

Message 79 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Andy62 

This fiasco has served as a clear illustration of everything that is wrong with Phone-payment services. We've been told that texts to the value of about £800,000 were sent to thousands of customers. Tap2Bill who sent the texts accept that they were unlawful and have undertaken to ensure that everyone is refunded. However, they did not provide a timescale for this. There is no simple system which allows O2 to reverse the charges, and if they manually refund a number of cases, they will then need to take the money back when the refund from Tap2Bill arrives.

Phone-payment is an appalling system which would not pass FCA regulation if it were subect to it. If thousands of Paypal payments had been taken in error, Paypal themselves would be able to easily reverse tham. There is no such simple facility with Phone-payment. The payments can't be simply reversed by O2. Instead, you are dependent on Tap2Bill processing refunds. 

This is the fundamental problem with the system overseen by PSA. The networks enter in to a contract with companies like Tap2Bill giving them direct access to their billing system. When O2 tell you that the charges are "beyond their control" they are actually telling the truth. O2 make no attempt authenticate the charges made by Tap2Bill. No proof is required that the charges are lawful, and O2 provide no mechanism for you to dispute them. 

In turn, Tap2Bill contract with companies like Moblix Media which allow them to use their "platform" to make charges directly to consumers' phone bills. This is how a company you have never heard of can make a charge to your phone bill which is almost impossible to recover.

Lasevia, Wapstar, Remote Games, Bodyin8  are just a few of the scams previously facilitated by Tap2Bill. Yet O2 continue to allow them unfettered access to customers' accounts. It is significant that EE was unaffected by this fiasco. Why? Because EE had more sense than to do business with a company that generates large numbers of consumer fraud complaints.  

We believe that the system is in need of a major overhaul. Key to this is that the mobile networks take back control of their billing systems and, like other payment processors, insist on proof of consent before parting with their customers' money.

In the short term, it's time that O2 carried out a proper risk assesment of it's so called "partners" like Tap2Bill. 

Message 80 of 113