cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Payforit_Sucks I get it, but @MI5 inferred that what happened is not unlawful - or is in some way legalised. Until everybody starts talking about it in correct terminology and are clear about the fact that it IS unlawful, there definitely won't be any progress made. It's not a scam (although I know many other similar premium service issues are), labelling it a scam places some blame on the victim being uneducated or not savvy enough in some way. It's theft or fraud depending on how you look at it and what regulation/law you apply, and it is unlawful. The fact that small claims courts uphold these cases in itself suggests that there relevant laws in place to successfully prosecute in the eyes of the law. So let's get everyone on the same page first about the terminology and disgustingness of this behaviour, not confuse it or play it down.

There is no "oh it's alright, we're getting refunds now" or "be thankful you're getting a refund, others aren't". I'm thankful that O2 are doing part of the right thing, but I'm also more in the camp of not being thankful that it takes pressure, time, effort and the mental health of their customers being affected just to make them do what they should be doing in the first place - and also not thankful that they don't seem interested in preventing fraud and theft from happening in the first place. It should never have happened in the first place, to anyone. When something is illegal like this, people SHOULD be upset regardless of a refund and SHOULD continue to take as much action as they possibly can to stop things from ever happening again to themselves or anyone else.

I've worked in dispute resolution and regulation, I know everything you've described there and I'm on your side. Constant pressure is the only way to get anything reformed and believe me, I wish everybody would get on board with the pressure your group is applying.

Message 61 of 113

KayBeeSp
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Absolutely agree. It shouldn’t be played down. It’s theft, fraud, and a breach of data protection laws from the company (Moblix Media or whoever) and also whoever they bought their database of numbers from. Considering the scale of the activity I’d want to see them prosecuted for all of those things.
Message 62 of 113

Stracho
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Has anyone had a txt today saying "We are aware of a technical issue that means you've received premium messages you didn't request. We will be in touch shortly to arrange a full refund." from Freebee. I had multiple txts last night charging 83p each.
Message 63 of 113

Dee1972
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have. I got charged 83p five times yesterday.
Message 64 of 113

bouncealong313
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

By the way, I could be wrong but I think the £0.83 is the pre-VAT figure. It's probably a full £1 or around that per message after VAT is added. Would make sense why other consumers on other phone networks are reporting £1 per message.

Message 65 of 113

Dee1972
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was wondering if it Franky and bennies because I started getting the texts about Friday’s or something like that the day after I visited F&B and gave my mobile number for the track and trace.
Message 66 of 113

Stracho
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I gave my number for a track and trace on Friday too tho not a frankie and bennys
Message 67 of 113

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123072 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Stracho wrote:
I gave my number for a track and trace on Friday too tho not a frankie and bennys

Quite a few have said the same in the Who Called me link @Stracho 

I hope thats just a coincidence!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 68 of 113

bouncealong313
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Track and trace is probably a red herring. For one, this company has been doing this fraud since at least 2017 according to who-called.co.uk reports and secondly, there are also reports on there from people who have said they have not registered for track and trace yet still got hit by the fraud.
Message 69 of 113

Cleoriff
  • 123072 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I agree @bouncealong313. As I said, just a coincidence from people who are trying to figure out what they did differently on that particular day.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 70 of 113